Thursday, November 14, 2019

Thursday Thirteen #630

1. Someone called me a perfectionist. Moi? Yes. I am one of those people. I try to get everything right. It's exhausting.

2. Funny thing, though. I've decided that there really is no right or wrong about many things. There are only a few absolutes. You shouldn't kill people, for one. I consider that an absolute. You should be nice. While I consider that an absolute, I strongly suspect most people disagree with that one.

3. Cold weather brings out the worst in me, I think. I'm not a fan.

4. I also am not a fan of super hot days. Virginia used to have two seasons that suited me: spring and fall. But those two seasons seems to be vanishing as we go from summer to winter and back to summer again in quick succession.

5. This has been a busy week. Lots of errands and running around. I need downtime. I'm an introvert. Books and pillows are my friends.

6. I skip over the politics a lot of Facebook. I'd much rather read the pages from NASA or Atlas Obscura. Something slightly educational.

7. I received a letter from my insurance company that one of my medications, Synthroid, which is used for thyroid issues, was now a "step" drug. That means I have to try the generic first. I did that back in May and it did not go well. I have asked my doctor to step in and see if that can count as my "step" so I can stay on the brand name. FYI, this drug used to cost me about $3.00. Now it costs me $56 and according to the label, my insurance saves me another $48. How can a drug this old cost so much to make? What caused this inflation of price? I have many friends on this drug and not a single one can take the generic. There is something wrong with the generic. 

8. Actually, there is something wrong with a lot of generics. Think about recent recalls. That's only a little bit of what is really going on. I have trouble sometimes with my medications when my pharmacy swaps one generic brand for another. Not even the generics work the same from company to company. My doctor believes me - she can see it in my bloodwork! But the pharmacists all say, "Oh, it's all the same." Like I'm imagining it or something. I have a good imagination, but come on.

9. Last night on Survivor, a show I watch and don't know why, there was a big issue about sexual harassment and inappropriate touch. I thought it quite informative, not only in the producer's reaction, (steps were taken to mitigate) but also in the reaction of women of various ages. Older women bristled and took umbrage and one tried to protect the younger women, who had complained to her about this one fellow. But after it became an issue, the younger women brushed it off, as if the inappropriate touch was nothing. Inappropriate touch is never nothing, but we as women are taught to ignore it or to pull it inside. Now that I am older, I don't take that kind of crap off of anyone. But we need to teach our daughters better about how to stand up for themselves, and how to say that big nasty word, NO.

10. No is one of the first words we learn, and it's pretty much the same in all languages, but it so very hard to say.

11. My husband shot his deer earlier in the week, during the muzzleloader season, so he will go into surgery for his ankle satisfied that he's put meat in the freezer. I don't know why that matters to him as I won't eat it, but there you go. A freezer full of deer meat.

12. I have not purchased the first Christmas present. I guess I need to get to it.

13. Maybe I could give people deer meat.

________________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 630th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

5 comments:

  1. I use levothyroxine, which is a generic for synthroid but there is also a generic for levothyroxine but it may not be up to snuff. I get it from Walmart which is much cheaper than the drug stores, I think because they keep it on site. I'm a stickler but not a perfectionist. I'm not sure what the difference is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think deer meat makes a great gift. Your description of your weather is like ours in California. I always thought Virginia had 4 seasons. Live and learn, I am. I was surprised, too, how the younger women made Dan feel like Janet was the nut. And, now that Kelleee is gone, they can put all the blame on her. I hope she gets another chance at Survivor. Maybe next time she'll use a hidden idol on herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your loving thoughts on my blog
    post worry shines through at times hah

    ReplyDelete
  4. "No" IS hard to say. I can't tell you how many times I have kicked myself later for letting myself be drawn into something I should have said no to, but the ingrained instruction to "be nice" has over ridden my good sense. On line or on the phone this never happens to me, but in person it does.

    I love venison. I don't hunt and never have, but if offered venison I enthusiastically accept! It's yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a fantastic 13's list. And, I gave up getting Synthoid, several years ago. You are right, it does work better. Damn bean counters.
    Inappropriate touching is never to be brushed aside. Geez!
    I'm so old I'm only nice on my own terms. I sit out of a lot of "family" meaning in laws, convo these days. I take my knitting. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.