Saturday, November 03, 2018

Saturday 9: It Must Be Him

Saturday 9: It Must Be Him (1967)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a woman waiting impatiently for a phone call. Do you consider yourself patient?

A. Not particularly.

2) Other women (most notably Shirley Bassey and Dottie West) have recorded this song. Harry James and Doc Severinson did instrumental versions. But there's no record of a male singing "Oh dear God! It must be her! Or I shall die!" Do you think that's because waiting for the phone to ring is more "a chick thing," and men simply don't do it?

A. I don't think I have ever sat around and waited for the phone to ring, unless I was expecting a business call at an appointed time. I think it's a human thing but I doubt most men would admit to feeling so lonely and needy.

3) This recording enjoyed a sudden surge of popularity after 20 years when it was included on the soundtrack of Moonstruck, the 1987 film that won Cher an Oscar. Have you seen Moonstruck?

A. I don't think so.

4) This week's featured artist, Vikki Carr, was born in El Paso, TX. El Paso can proudly proclaim itself one of America's safest cities. What can your hometown be proud of?

A. My closest city is known as the Star City of the South because it has a huge neon star on Mill Mountain, which is within the city's borders. The star was built in 1949 as a gimmick to bring in shoppers. The star is made of neon. It changes color from red, white, and blue, depending on time period and whims of city council.

I think it is the largest manmade neon structure in the world, but I wouldn't swear to that.

You can see what the City of Roanoke looks like from the star on the StarCam.

Here are photos I took in 2014.

 


 


 





5) She was a staple on Jerry Lewis' Labor Day Telethon, raising funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Association by performing this song. Is your TV on right now? If so, what are you watching?

A. My TV is not on.

6) In 1971, Vikki fulfilled a dream of hers by establishing the Vikki Carr Scholarship Foundation. Every year the foundation awards Hispanic American students money to use toward higher education. She says it's her way of returning "the support and encouragement she received from others" early in her career. If you could establish a charitable foundation, what cause would you like it to benefit?

A. I would establish a charitable foundation that assisted with illiteracy.

7) In 1967, when this song was popular, Dr. Christiaan Barnard performed the first heart transplant. Today, one of the most common surgeries performed in the United States is the coronary artery bypass surgery. Have you had any surgeries?

A. I've had multiple surgeries. From 1987 to 1993 I had a surgery a year for endometriosis which ultimately ended in a hysterectomy when I was 29 years old. I had my tonsils out in 1994 as an adult (and it hurt, don't let anyone ever tell you you'll get over that in two days). My gallbladder surgery in 2013 turned out to be a major trial as it set off a debilitating endless pain loop of scar tissue that has built up in my abdominal muscles.

8) Also in 1967, the RMS Queen Mary was retired after 31 years of service. Have you ever traveled by cruise ship?

A. No.

9) Random question: Who is your oldest living relative?

A. My mother-in-law, though she is not really my blood relative. She's 85. My oldest living blood relative would be my father, who is 77.
___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

9 comments:

  1. That is some star! I've never heard of it before. Did it actually bring in the shoppers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say it's the largest manmade star. The sign says so, too. That's good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never sat around waiting for the phone to ring either. Seems so silly.
    That star is beautiful! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of the star either, but it was fascinating to read about. In Sacramento a local TV station built a big tower with lights on the top. You can check what the weather is by looking at what color light is lit (I can't remember which is which now). Silliest thing ever. Do you need a light to tell you it's raining???

    Sorry to hear about your many surgeries, especially the ones that cause you pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, just now seeing that you live in Virginia. I was born in Newport News, Virginia and then my Dad pastored churches in Lynchburg, Moneta, Bassett and Forest, Va. Tommy and I were married in Lynchburg. I love, love Virginia, such a beautiful state. I still have relatives in the Tidwater area and just visited them in Sept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That star is very impressive! And, I don't sit around waiting for a phone to ring anymore either.
    Both arthroscopic and regular gall bladder surgeries cut through your abs, and boy it really does a number on them. Those cramps really take the breath away. What you're going through is terrible.
    Doctors!! Some of them Anyway.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow! You've never seen Moonstruck! I'm gonna rent a theater and invite you to see it (I wish).
    It's a great movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You didn’t mention that during times of need of blood they would turn the star all red to let people know that the blood bank needed donations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.