Saturday, August 04, 2018

Saturday 9: Along Comes a Friend

Saturday 9: Along Comes a Friend (Theme from Kate and Allie) (1984)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is the theme from Kate and Allie, a sitcom that ran from 1984 to 1989. Were you a fan?

A. I watched it and enjoyed it.

2) The show was about two divorced women who live and raise their children together. Were you ever a single parent? Were you raised by a single parent?

A. I have never been a parent and my parents were together when I was a child.

3) Allie is proud that she can make a perfect cup of coffee: "Just the essence of the bean. No acidity." Kate is proud that she can belch the alphabet. What are you proud of?

A. I am proud of my college degrees and my body of writing. It may not be a novel but I have published thousands of articles.

4) Kate and Allie share half of a duplex in Greenwich Village. Many episodes had them doing laundry in the basement. Where are your washer and dryer?

A. They are off the kitchen.

5) Kate was played by Susan St. James. She was familiar to viewers as the "wife" in McMillan and Wife. Without looking it up, do you know who played McMillan?

A. I have no idea. I never watched the show.

6) Allie was played by Jane Curtin. She was one of three women in the original Saturday Night Live cast. Without looking it up, can you name the other two?

A. Gildna Radner and . . . I guess I don't know. I'm not even sure about Radner. This does not surprise me because I did not watch much of SNL.

7) On the set, Jane Curtin ran a poker game for the cast and crew. Do you think winning at poker takes more luck or skill?

A. Winning at anything takes skill.

8) The Kate & Allie theme was cowritten and sung by John Lefler. Years later, Mr. Lefler wrote the theme for the Pokemon show. Is anyone in your life into Pokemon?

A. Nope. I tried to download the Pokemon Go app when I first went crazy and bought a smart phone back in September, but I couldn't get it to work. So much for that.

9) Random question: What's the last thing you whispered?

A. When my husband and I were at Cracker Barrell a while back, there was guy sitting next to us who looked like Glenn on Swamp People, and I leaned over and whispered, "That's Glenn on Swamp People finally getting his first date" into my husband's ear. (The last episodes of the season showed Glenn getting dressed up, trimming his hair, and attempting to go on his first date (he did not succeed because he wore no shoes and the restaurant wouldn't let him in.).) My husband laughed.

_____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

14 comments:

  1. #9 -- My friend John does that all the time! Except with him it's always Cher. Every time we see a woman with lots of dark hair and strong features, he'll whisper, "Oh, Cher has finally made it to our Certified Grocery Store!" Or, "Who expected to see Cher at McDonald's." And yes, I always laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually do that so it was an anomaly for me. But the fellow in the restaurant looked so much like the guy on Swamp People that I couldn't resist.

      Delete
  2. #9 Made me think of my own spotting of one of Wild Bill from "Mountain Monsters" (a bunch of WV hillbillies who hunt Bigfoot) in a hotel elevator in OH. I still think it was him, though the cleaned up version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a Journalist. Someday we all hope that you'll write The Book so we get to read it. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I am trying to get my head around it, Zippi. I think I need a support coach.

      Delete
  4. I don't think you missed out on anything with the Pokémon thing. That's funny about your whispering. I've never heard of Swamp People.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a reality show my husband watches. I am usually reading a book but you still see enough of the show to know the characters even if you're not paying attention. I think it's on Discovery or History or one of those channels.

      Delete
  5. Where would one find your published articles? I would be interested in reading some of your works. Too funny about sighting a possible Glenn. I’m from Louisiana and can relate to the barefooted part. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under my "Writing Samples" page at the top is a list of articles, although I just realized yesterday the links to some no longer work. The ones under Ourvalley.org, newsroanoke.com and Cooperative Living. I am working on getting the other links fixed.

      Delete
  6. I was the product of the single parent him. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. The show was not a very good reference to use for divorce mom is raising children. And the three ladies of SNL where Jane Curtin , Gilda Radnor And Lorraine Newman And the costar of McMillan and Wife was none other than Rock Hudson. Yes books and TV were my only friends growing up.As an adult, I kept the books, got rid of the TV! The thing I’m most proud of is only important to me. It’s something that makes my heart feel good but won’t mean much to anybody else. The last thing a whisper was,”this feels so good I needed this so much.” I bet they didn’t hear it! It was the best hug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your answers today and agree that your #9 is quite funny! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your whisper story.It sounds like something me and my husband would do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.