Saturday, September 16, 2017

Saturday 9: Don't Talk to Strangers

Saturday 9: Don't Talk to Strangers (1982) 

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) When did you recently have a conversation with a complete stranger? What did you two discuss?


A. Thursday I had a bad conversation with a sales clerk. It wasn't her fault that I had to walk all over an entire JC Penny store to find someone to take my money, but by the time I found her, I was tired and pretty pissed. This is the third time I've had to hobble all over JCP to find a clerk, and I told the woman I didn't want her credit card, didn't want her rewards, I just wanted to check out and get out of there and I was never coming back. Then I came home and sent an email to the manager, who had written me in June apologizing for the exact same problem after I tweeted about it. I used to love JCP, and they were my go-to store. Now I don't have a go-to store. I think I need to find a seamstress to make my clothes.

2) In the video for this song, a woman is having a "hot" conversation on a corded, rotary dial phone in her bedroom. Do you have a landline? If so, do you have an extension in your bedroom?

A. We do have a landline. In fact, the extension in our bedroom is still a ROTARY phone. It has push buttons but it connects via the rotary part of the phone system, which apparently is still in place, and thus is the only phone that still works when the power is out but the phone systems are not. When you dial from that phone, you can still hear that rotary sound that phones used to make in the line. It goes "clack clack clack" as you dial.

3) This week's artist, Rick Springfield, says he wrote this song when he was worried that his girlfriend (now his wife) would cheat on him when he was touring. Would you describe yourself as suspicious or trusting?

A. Trusting.

4) He became a daytime heartthrob as Dr. Noah Drake on General Hospital. Do you think it would be cool to have a really attractive doctor? Or would it make you uncomfortable?

A. Usually when I am seeing a doctor I am sick so I really don't pay a lot of attention to what he or she looks like. Actually, the guy who took out my gallbladder was fairly nice looking but he had a miserable bedside manner and he did a crappy job on my surgery and has left me mauled for life. I care more about the competency than the looks.

5) He's discussed how sad he was when, as a boy, he had to leave his dog Elvis behind when the family left Australia. While you were growing up, did your family often move?

A. We moved five times before I left home for good. My husband and I have moved three times in 34 years (the last time in 1987). My parents moved when I was a baby and I don't remember that, then again when I was seven, and again when I nine, and again when I was thirteen. I might be a little off on the ages and time frames. My father remains in that last house.

6) In 1982, when this song was popular, Italy won the World Cup. Do you ever watch soccer?

A. No.

7) "Smiley," the first emoticon, was introduced in 1982. Do you use emoticons in your communication? Or do you avoid them?

A. Mostly I avoid them but sometimes I remember they exist and use them.

8) The Vietnam Memorial was dedicated in Washington, DC, in 1982. Do you know any veterans of that conflict? If so, tell us about him or her.

A. I probably do, but no one comes to mind at the moment. While that war framed my first 10 years of life, afterwards, aside from Granada, I don't remember much about wars until we invaded Kuwait. I am a pacifist by nature, so while I read the news and am up on current events, I tend not to dwell on those kinds of things.

9) Random Question: Your friends are throwing a birthday "roast" in your honor. Which one quality of yours are you sure will be singled out for laughs?

A. My sarcastic and quick wit. Everyone comments on it, so I can't imagine that it wouldn't be something someone would note.

_____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so frustrating about JCP. It's the same here and not just with them. It's in all the big anchor stores at the mall. First they took the registers out of each department and made those kiosk type checkouts here and there. Now they just don't staff all of those and it's a hunt to find the one that does have clerks working it. Christmas shopping is especially vexing. Probably why I do most of mine online these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your JCP issues mirror mine with Macy's State Street store. It's my favorite place to shop because everything is laid out so well and it's easy to find fitting rooms. (Even though they're usually littered with castoff clothes.) But then you carry your purchases around in your arms forever looking for a register. Where, of course, there's always a line. I know it's not the sales staff fault. If they're cleaning up the fitting rooms, then there are even fewer to man the registers. But it's frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous... you have a rotary phone. I wish that I still have mine because the cordless phone need power to work. I have a wall phone in the basement that still works when the power goes off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doctors: same here, nearly same answer. Incompetence in a doctor should never be tolerated. Sad that the real consequences are something few of them have to live with. They just get to "move on".
    JCP might have, like Sears does or maybe it's "did" by now, an online store to order from. If you know your size, and like the fit of their clothing, you can hopefully order on line with them. They have had a very nice store over time. One of the best.
    There's been a war going for this country my entire life. I'm so sick of living in warfare. I really do pay attention because it was my coming of agem very big AHAH moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your JCP reminds me of the last Sears that I was physically inside of. That was about 5 years ago at a very large mall on a busy day. Only Sears was a freaking ghost town with only one cashier- if you could find him. so sad....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, I identify with your JCP experience. I have all but given up shopping in stores like that. Finding a clerk is nearly impossible and finding a COMPETENT clerk is even harder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only order from JCP online with the Ship to Store option (to save postage costs). It's maddening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The anchor stores are wondering why their sales are down meanwhile we are still wondering , looking for a register to pay at or a customer service rep. to help us find something.
    I moved around quite a bit too. Across three states and once we moved to this area , we moved 7or 8 more times ( I lost count) I get attached to very little as far as belongings or places go. Which is why I wanted a home so badly. I've been in the same home for 16 years now, a record!
    Don't even get me started on doctors! There is not enough room here to write everything!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.