Stuff to do in the morning before lunch.
1. Meditate. We've all heard how this is supposed to help you, making your blood flow better and your brain less cluttered. So breathe in and out a few times and find your inner calm. What's it gonna hurt?
2. Be grateful. A gratitude journal is a good way to start the day - maybe read over yesterday's entries (or last year's) and remember that all is not lost.
3. Set your schedule. Some people call this a "daily intention" - focus on the things you most want to accomplish during the day. A daily to-do list will suffice if you can't make it feel spiritual. List three things - that's all. Don't overload it.
4. Allow yourself free time. Maybe you need to take a chill pill around 3 p.m. because that's when your energy wears out. Or you need to meditate again. Reasons don't matter, but schedule in a little free time so that, if nothing else, you can stare out the window without guilt.
5. Drink lots of water. Some people advocate drinking a full glass of water as soon as you wake up. Drinking water before you eat is supposed to make you feel full and eat less, too.
6. Stretch. Maybe you just reach down and touch your toes once or twice, or lift a leg or something, but let your body move a bit. (I think a good dance in the morning would be terrific, if I could dance.)
7. Listen to music. Music can help set your mood, especially if it's upbeat and something you like. If, like me, you play an instrument, maybe you should pick that thing up and make a little noise of your own.
8. Smile. Okay, so maybe you're alone in the house. Who is there to see? You, silly! You're there. Go smile at yourself in the mirror. Show some teeth.
9. Pick up/clean up/ make the bed. Nothing says, "I'm up and doing stuff" like making your space a bit neater. There's always something that needs a dusting.
10. Do the thing you don't want to do. Get a start on the hardest task, whether that is balancing the checkbook or clearing out the refrigerator. Chances are you'll finish it up and not stop, but even if you only clean one shelf, that's still one shelf done. With practice, this might even help with that procrastination problem (though I apparently have not yet practiced enough).
11. Take a shower/ wipe off your face/ use a little water. Showers are wonderful. They wake you in the morning and help you sleep at night. If you take a night-time shower, then be sure to wash your face in the morning. The water will refresh you. Maybe spritz your hair with a bit of water to freshen it up, too. And don't forget the deodorant.
12. Brush your teeth. You'd be amazed at how many adults don't brush twice a day. It is an easy task to ignore, especially if you are at home and not going out, but it should be on your list.
13. Eat something. I'm not sure breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but by lunch for sure you should have something in your stomach.
There. Now our days are all organized and half over.
You're welcome! (Ha!)
(If only I would follow this advice!)
Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list
you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing
for a while and this is my 445th time
to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.