Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Hollins: The Art Gallery

When I received my MA from Hollins in May, I promised myself that I would take every opportunity to avail myself of the campus and the college community. Hollins offers a lot of free activities, if some woman will just get off her duff and drive the 20 minutes over there.

This morning I visited the Eleanor D. Wilson Museum in the Richard Wetherill Visual Arts Center. I knew it a long time ago as the library, but that was before a major renovation. Now it is the arts building.

The Museum currently has three separate exhibits.

1. Alice Hohenberg Federico, Hollins Class of 1967. She is a ceramic artist and the museum had a room full of her art, almost all vases. Some were quite elaborate.




2. Andy Warhol.



I confess I am not a big Warhol fan. I have never gotten the whole tomato soup thing.



I approached the manikin from the rear and thought it was a real person.



Soup cans and naked woman outline. Hmm.


Marilyn Monroe, right?

3. Clement Hurd's illustrations of Goodnight Moon. Goodnight Moon is a beloved children's book written by Margaret Wise Brown, Hollins class of 1932.




A copy of the book along with activity items in a room set up to appeal to children.



An illustration of one of the pages.



Another illustration of one of the pages.


Cover art for different versions of the book.


The Museum is open to the public Tuesday - Friday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.; Saturday 1 - 5 p.m.

Check it out. It is one Roanoke's hidden jewels.

2 comments:

  1. It's purdy... wish I could get into exhibits, but to me it's sort of like going to the county fair, looking at quilts, student art, pigs, etc. I get bored with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous list hope your brother had a special time

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.