Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Books: Grimm's Fairy Tales

Grimm's Fairy Tales
Read by Sheila Hancock
1983

This adaptation of Grimm's Fairy Tales includes Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Hansel and Gretel, Rapunzel, The Frog Prince, Cinderella, Rupelstiltskin, Tom Thumb, Sleeping Beauty, and The Brave Little Tailor.

Grimm's tales have been softened up and watered down so much over the centuries that it is hard to know what you're listening to. I suspect these versions were of the watered down variety, but without comparing I do not know that for sure.

It was a joy to listen to these tales of my childhood, even if they seemed a little different than I recall. My favorites of the ones listed above are Tom Thumb and The Brave Little Tailor. I learned the the latter as "Seven at One Blow" some time ago and recall it fondly.

National Geographic offers a dozen Grimm Fairy Tales at this website.

Some of them have audio.

You can find other fairy tales all over the Internet. There are over 200 of these stories; we're only familiar with less than half of those.

These tales resonate still today. A good background in fairy tales is very helpful in reading, research, movie-watching, and writing.

Try something a little different!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.