Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wild Wonderful West Virginia Part IV

Part IV - Tamarack


Tamarack, in Beckley, WV, is a cultural center/showcase of art. The art has been carefully chosen (juried) and so is some of the best around. It's named after the Tamarack tree, which is a kind of conifer tree. It is unusual in that it loses its leaves or needles.




The structure is supposed to look like a quilt from the air.


Inside we saw 59,000 square feet of lovely things. I was greatly impressed by an $18,000 coffee table, though a $270 rocking chair, made with a mix of dark and light colored wood, was more in my price range. They had some really nice items and it is a shame that we brought nothing home.

The work of many jewelry makers, photographers, painters, and woodworkers was on display. The Greenbrier has a shop there, and there is a nice place to have a meal, too. It is cafeteria-style.

This would be a great place to go Christmas shopping. I suggest taking the girls and leaving the husbands behind, though!

Next: Part V - The West Virginia Music Hall of Fame

3 comments:

  1. Women shopping + Husband = negative experience. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really cool looking building. Sounds like they have some beautiful art for sale. It reminds me of the Folk Art Center here on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lovely stuff there, but the prices are really high. It's nice to see it, though.

    I enjoyed your post on the New River Gorge Bridge. It's one of those places I want to see before I die! So beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our son who was a ranger at New River NP never told me about the craft center!!! Wonder why?
    An 18K coffee table! I can't imagine!
    Thanks for the informative post about the park and bridge earlier. Unfortunately when our son was stationed there we were made aware that the bridge is a favorite spot for suicides.... makes work as a ranger there not always a happy time. He had to use those steps more than once.... :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.