Sunday, June 27, 2010

Books: Split Second

Split Second
By David Baldacci
Read by Ron McLarty
Abridged 6 hours
Copyright 2003

These fast-paced spy/mystery books are what David Baldacci is known for, but as I hadn't read or listened to one I thought I'd pick one up.

This went very quickly. The plot was very exciting but the character development was minimal. I don't know, though, if that is because of the abridgment so I will withhold judgment on that.

Much of the book was set in Virginia, and I always like to read things set in the state. It makes them feel close to home, sort of.

Michelle Maxwell is a Secret Service agent charged with protecting a presidential candidate. During a stop at a funeral from a friend, the candidate is kidnapped. Michelle's career is effectively ended.

Eight years earlier, Sean King had been watching a presidential candidate when his charge was gunned down. King lost his career, too.

The two join forces when the two seemingly unconnected events start to look connected. They sift through old evidence, lies, and cover-ups to discover the truth.

The book ends with the two joining forces to create a private investigator's agency, so even though I haven't looked I am sure there are other books out there featuring these two characters.

Not bad entertainment while driving in the car, that's for sure.

2 comments:

  1. If you were reading in the car I hope you were riding instead of driving. It's amazing what people will do behind the wheel of a car these days, ya know?

    DI

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an audio book, Di! I was listening to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.