Thursday, October 25, 2007

13 Minor Annoyances

1. Books on tape that haven't been rewound. I know it is so difficult to hit that rewind button. It's a courtesy thing, though.

2. That stiff plastic from hell that is used for packaging, like on batteries and scissors. I need scissors to open the packages. What if it is your first pair of scissors, how do you get into it, I wonder?

3. Paper cuts. They hurt worse than a big bold bleeding cut.

4. Loose buttons. I wore a brand new pair of pants on Tuesday and the buttons fell off. I ended up using a paperclip to hold my pants together until I could get home. What's up with that?

5. Cell phones. They are handy but do we have to have them on during supervisors' meetings? Or dinner? I leave mine in the car all the time. I don't particularly want to be reachable when I'm in the grocery store or visiting a friend. I don't use it when I'm driving, either. I'm not really sure why I have it. Emergencies, I guess.

6. Pop ups on websites. Yeah, it's all about capitalism and getting my money away from me, I know. But too many pop ups and I don't visit at all.

7. Authors who don't know when to shut up. I really don't care if J. K. Rowling thinks Dumbledore is gay (Harry Potter books). What she wrote is what she wrote, and I don't have access to the mini-camera in her mind, just what she puts on paper.

8. Multiple charity requests. Every day, in the mail, people send me things wanting me to write them a check. What is it with you people? Yes, I know, you do good things. I support your good things. But I send you a check on my schedule, not yours. In the meantime you've wasted good dollars sending me multiple mailings over the course of the year. I ponied up all I could afford at the time. Give it a rest. You'll get yours when I have it to give.

9. Reality TV. Fortunately I don't watch too much TV anyway, but I wouldn't mind watching if something came on that was creative, had possibilities, seemed inventive, etc. Like Seinfeld. Or Designing Women. Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. Anything that has a plot.

10. Meetings that take all day. I attended a meeting this week that was NINE hours long. Do you know how sore your bottom gets after you've sat almost all of that time?

11. People who think that driving in the rain means ... driving like it isn't raining. I know we've not had rain in a while, and maybe people have forgotten that it's slippery, but slowing down is better than dying. Over the course of the last two days I've seen several wrecks. I watched one tractor trailer jack-knife in front of me. He was going too fast and then suddenly this stop light popped up out of nowhere. Bad stop light.

12. People who complain about the rain. We've had a drought. Get over it. Rejoice because you'll have drinking water. A little water on your head won't hurt you.

13. What's your minor annoyance? Maybe it's people who acknowledge minor annoyances...

6 comments:

  1. Comments on a couple of yours:
    #2 - use a table saw.
    #5 - even worse than cellphones, where I work nearly everyone has a Blackberry. I don't get it, but people are always answering emails on their Blackberries in the middle of meetings. That drives me nuts.

    And a few of my own:
    #1 - cuff buttons. I'm too hamhanded to get those things buttoned, especially at 7:00 AM. I have to button them with two hands before I put the shirt on.

    #2 - invisible fences. Yeah, I know, it keeps your dog in the yard, but when I'm jogging by, he still charges at me and it's scary.

    #3 - when you're at Burger King and your order is ready, even though you are standing a foot from the counter they shout your order out to everyone in the place (while looking at some vague point on the ceiling in a far corner). Hey, buddy, I'm right here!

    #4 - Ranch Dressing. Should be illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list.
    #2 - couldn't agree more. In addition to making it impossible to get in, there's a heck of a lot of waste in that sort of packaging. There's got to be a better way!
    #3 - yes, ouch.
    #5 - can we have just a few moments of quiet please?! Dare we let ourselves be disconnected for a few moments?
    #8 - I've started putting these mailings in a folder that comes out each December. Once a year I go through them.

    Here's one of my own: Morning talk shows who think I really like listening to interviews over the shouting crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speed bumps, reality TV, commercials that use songs from the 60's to sell their products, and when the guys at the car wash forget to put my antennae back up and I go for weeks with a fuzzy radio and don't know why.

    I just posted some rainy day autumn photos. I wouldn't dare complain about the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything you said. Plus telemarketers. And lately the callers who have "just one question" about the up-coming election. And all those inserts in magazine that almost double the weight of the magazine. And all the ads for drugs in magazines (with nearly a page listing all the side effects).

    Oh, gosh! You got me started. Now, all I'll be able to think about for the next couple of hours is minor annoyances. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. We surely put up with a lot of unnecessary BS, don't we! Thanks for the additions to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all 12 and could rant endlessly about a lot of them, especially the cell phone, driving like maniacs including in the rain, and reality t.v. UGH!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.