Thursday, December 28, 2006

My present: Nail Biting




I'm sorry to say that these hands belong to me.

I am a nail biter.

I have at times managed to stop for over a year or more at a time. I started biting them again this summer, reason unknown. I wasn't particularly stressed or anything. I have been unable to stop.

The only way I have been able to control this in the past is constant attention to my nails. Lots of buffing and filing and an all-out effort to keep them smooth. But the tools I was using, something I bought at a women's show about 15 years ago, have worn out and they don't smooth and work like they once did.

I have been unable to find anything similar to replace them. Nothing I can buy in the stores works as well.

I am fairly sure that nail-biting adds to my susceptibility to germs and viruses and other bad little creepy crawly things.

One of my resolutions for the new year is to stop biting my nails - again. I know I will never have beautiful hands but there is no need for them to look as bad as they do. Maybe these pictures will give me pause, and help me to stop chewing on my hands.

5 comments:

  1. When I was 13, I broke myself of nail biting by polishing my nails with clear polish and then chewing the polish off. No telling how many bottle of polish I ingested back then, but it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nail polish has never worked for me. Plus, I am allergic to most of them, they make my lips swell (because of course I put my fingers in my mouth). Constantly filing and smoothing the nail ridges helps more than anything, I just have to remember to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My nails are even worse than yours in this picture. I am like you, in that, if there is any little ridge i will tackle it by shredding it right off, then soon i have no nail. it is a horrible habit i cant seem to break. I am now 33 and i have the ugliest nails you have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Im 13 & A have been bitting my nails since i was about 6, i just cant stop.
    I've got, like, 4 different "stop bitting nails" polish stuff & im used to all of them....

    It sucks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 57 and just stopped biting my nails within the last 3 months. I had bitten them worse than anyone I ever saw since I was a toddler. I am not sure why I stopped, I just did. I now treat myself to a manicure every 2 weeks, and am so proud of my hands.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.