Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Our Democracy Would Fall

"David Montgomery of the Washington Post has written a roundup of what 21 experts “in the presidency, political science, public administration, the military, intelligence, foreign affairs, economics and civil rights” say would happen should Trump be reelected in 2024.

They argue that upon taking office, Trump would install super loyalists to do his bidding and would ignore the Senate if it tried to stop him, as he largely did in his term. He has, after all, already outlined a plan to fire career civil servants and has explored a rigorous system for guaranteeing loyalists for those posts. Next, the experts suggest, he would deploy the military at home against his enemies while disengaging internationally and turning things over to Putin and other authoritarians. America’s global leadership would end, not least because no other nations would trust our intelligence services. Political violence would become the norm, giving Trump an excuse to declare martial law, and our democracy would fall." - From Heather Cox Richardson's newsletter, October 11, 2022


I believe this to be true. This is not because the former guy is a Republican. This is not what Republicans are. This is a new party under the guise of an old name. This is an authoritarian party. These are not my father's Republicans.



3 comments:

  1. Really so sad. I am glad my parents are not here to see it all go down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is some serious shit, and I don't know why more of us aren't enraged or scared. When I was a student in junior high and high school, I always wondered how Germans and Italians let Hitler and Mussolini happen. Now when I listen to people act as though stock and gas prices are the most important issue in their lives, I get it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.