Sunday, June 30, 2024

Sunday Stealing

 

1. Have you traveled abroad? Where have you been? If you haven't been overseas, which country would you most like to visit?

A. When I was in high school, I visited Spain and France as part of a school trip. We went to Madrid and took a passenger train to Paris, France.

2. Where did you go on your last trip? Talk about where you went and what you did.

A. My last trip was into the city. I went to the bookstore, the vitamin store, ate lunch, and stopped at the farm supply store on the way back. Oh yeah, and I stopped at CVS.

3. What is the best place for a vacation in your country? Why is it good?

A. I think that question can only be answered by the person planning the vacation. Some people like beaches, some people don't. Some people like cities, some people don't. The United States has a little bit of everything, from beaches to mountains, canyons to geysers, rural landscapes to large cities.

4. What is the longest time you have been away from home? Did you feel homesick?

A. I think the longest time I have ever been away from home is a week. I am always ready to come back home when the journey is over.

5. How long should a vacation be? How long does it take you to really relax?

A. I honestly need at least a week to relax, a week to enjoy, another week to prepare to come back home, and then a week at home, but I have never had that. I just know that is what I would like to have.

6. What forms of transportation do you prefer to use when you travel?

A. We drive a car.

7. How do you choose where to go? Are you inspired by other people's travel stories? Or photos? Or advertising?

A. We choose to go in part by where we've been and enjoyed, and in part by curiosity. I really like historic sites.

8. What's more important to you when you travel - comfort and relaxation, or stimulating new experiences?

A. Comfort and relaxation with an occasional bit of stimulation.

9. Do you like to try local foods when you go somewhere? Have you ever had something really delicious?

A. My husband tends to lean towards the chains for meals because they are reliable. The last time we were at the beach we discovered that all of our favorite restaurants had closed (that was in 2019, pre-pandemic).

10. Things can go wrong when you travel. Have you had any bad travel experiences?

A. The worst vacation as an adult was in 1989. We had reservations to stay in Virginia Beach. The week before we were to leave, there was a riot there. We called and were told everything was fine at the hotel we were to stay at. What they didn't tell us was that most of the power was out in downtown Virginia Beach. So, we arrived at the hotel to find it running on a generator, with no air conditioning and no elevator. I think we were the only guests. We asked if we could have a fan and were told no. The accommodations were horrible. Across the street, another hotel had power and was doing fine. About 11 p.m., I couldn't stand it anymore. It was hot and humid, and I was having trouble breathing from it. I called across the street to see if they had a vacancy, and they said sure, come on over. I went down and told the guy at the desk we were leaving, and he was giving us a full refund. When he refused, I started coughing and said, "I'm having an asthma attack. I can go to the hospital and send you the bill or you can give us our refund." We got the refund, I used my inhaler, and we went across the street. I don't remember much about the rest of the trip. We did not go back to Virginia Beach for about 20 years after that.

11. Do you take a lot with you when you travel? Or do you try to pack light?

A. I try to pack light, but it seems we end up with a fully loaded car when we go somewhere. By the time I have to pack my special pillow wedge, and take along an air purifier (yes, I do that), along with clothes, we fill the trunk and then some.

12. Which places in the world do you think are too dangerous to visit? Why are they dangerous?

A. Anywhere there is a war going on is dangerous for obvious reasons. Any place that is not nice to women I would find unacceptable. 

13. What is the best age to travel? Can children appreciate the experience?

A. I think it is ok for children to travel but unless they're 10 or older they aren't going to remember much about it. Most of the places I saw even when I was a teenager, I would like to go back and see as an adult because I know I would better appreciate it now. The trick is not to get too old.

14. What are the advantages and disadvantages of traveling alone?

A. I have no idea. I've never traveled alone.

15. What kind of accommodation do you like to stay in when you travel?

A. We usually stay in a no-pet, no-smoking facility, but those are becoming hard to come by. Hampton Inn used to be reliable that way, but they have started allowing pets.

16. Do you like to talk to the local people when you travel? Why or why not?

A. I like to strike up a chat just to see what people think about their area. I think it's the reporter in me.

17. Would you like to go to a big international event, such as the Olympics or an international film festival? What would be good or bad about attending such an event?

A. I do not do well at big events. I do not like crowds.

__________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.

3 comments:

  1. In 1998, I planned a week at Detroit and Cleveland and a week home. But I ended going to DC in week two to try out for JEOPARDY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your answers today!! I like that vacation plan spread out over a few weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take along an air purifier!! Are those the little one you can put on a desk? It's good to ask local people about what they think of they're living in, very smart idea. Loved that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.