Saturday, May 04, 2024

Saturday 9: Rocket Man




Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Elton John tells us he's taking off for outer space at 9:00 AM. What will you be doing at 9:00 AM tomorrow morning?

A. Taking a shower. That's usually about the time I get to that.
 
2) He sings that even though he uses it for his astronaut job, he doesn't understand science. Was science one of your better classes in school?

A. I liked Earth Science in particular, learning about mammals and soils and such. I wasn't too keen on biology, or dissecting a frog, but I liked learning about the world around me. I was a smart kid who made As in everything except gym, so I can't say it was one of my better classes, but it was one I didn't mind.
 
3) Lyricist Bernie Taupin recalls writing the first verse of "Rocket Man" while stuck in traffic as he tried to make his way to his parents' home. Have you recently been stuck in traffic? If yes, where were you headed?

A. I don't recall the last time I was stuck in traffic. Some people around here think if they hit a red light they are "stuck in traffic," but that's ridiculous. I don't know that I've ever been stuck in traffic for more than 15 minutes.

4) Thinking of cars ... Nigel Olsson, who plays drums and sings back-up on "Rocket Man," is a self-proclaimed "race car fanatic." What hobby are you passionate about?

A. Reading, playing the guitar, and blogging.

5) Davey Johnstone, who plays guitar on "Rocket Man," recently posted on Facebook that he was thrilled to meet Joni Mitchell. Are you on Facebook? Instagram? Twitter? Pinterest? Tik Tok?

A. I am on Facebook and Twitter. I seldom post on either one. I have a Pinterest account but don't use it. I don't have an Instagram or a Tik Tok account. I also don't have a Threads or Truth Social account.

6) Elton John once played charades with Bob Dylan. But only once. Elton laughingly says he can't get over how "hopeless" Dylan was at the game. What's the last game you played? Did you win?

A. We played Scrabble and I lost. My husband hit all the triple letter spots.
 
7) In 1972, when this song was popular, Winnie the Pooh was on the cover the Sears Christmas Wish Book. That year, kids asked Santa for plush Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore. Did you have many plush toys as a child? If yes, do you still have any of them?

A. I had some plush toys, but I do not have any of them now. I don't recall having any that were based on TV or movies, though.
 
8) Also in 1972, TV cowboy Dan Blocker died. He played the middle brother, "Hoss," on Bonanza. Do you enjoy watching westerns?

A. Sometimes they are ok. I did not like Yellowstone, which I suppose one could consider a modern western, and only watched the first 4 episodes before I gave up on it. But Bonanza was ok, as was The Big Valley

9) Random question: What inspires you?

A. Something should, shouldn't it. But I can't come up with anything at the moment.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

3 comments:

  1. #8 -- The old-school TV westerns are available for streaming. Bonanza, The Rifleman, Wagon Train, Gunsmoke ... MeTV shows them, too. Every now and then I binge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not good at earth science, I preferred the life sciences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband didn't like Yellowstone, either. I did but never got into watching since he usually controls the remote when we watch together. As to your comment on my blog about vitamins...I take quite a few and have for years. They've kept me healthy until this year. I blame it all on covid. I got it on New Year's Day and then the next virus hit me so hard coming right on its heels. I never did totally throw the cough off. Well, I also blame it on the fact that the staffs at most of the group homes send the clients in sick because they don't usually have daytime staff while the people are with us and they can't get people to work when they need them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.