Saturday, December 08, 2018

Saturday 9: Glue 'Round the Christmas Tree

Saturday 9: I'm Gonna Put Some Glue 'Round the Christmas Tree (So Santa Will Stick Around All Year) (1954)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's featured songstress, Peggy King, sings that she'd like to extend the Christmas season all year. How about you? Do you wish the season was longer? Shorter? Or do you think things are fine as they are?

A. I'm ready to be rid of it entirely.

2) She specifically mentions toys. Have you purchased/will you purchase any toys as holiday gifts this year?

A. No, unless you count the items I gave at an angel tree. No young ones in my life anymore; they're all grown.

3) Search for "glue" on The Home Depot's website and you'll get more than 3,000 results. There's heavy-duty adhesives, all-purpose glue, clear epoxy, wood glue, and more. Do you currently have glue in your home? If yes, how many kinds?

A. I have Elmer's glue and Krazy glue in the house. My husband may have other kinds on the garage.

4) What's the last thing you used glue for?

A. I glued the sole of my sneaker back together.

5) This week's featured artist, Peggy King, was a TV staple in the 1950s. With her perpetually upbeat persona, she was known as "Pretty, Perky Peggy King." Do you consider yourself upbeat, aka "perky?"

A. Nope. Debbie Downer here.

6) Ms. King got her start singing radio jingles for Hunt's tomato sauce. Prepared tomato sauce, properly stored, can safely be kept in the refrigerator for days. Do you have any leftovers in your refrigerator right now?

A. There's a bit of chicken left from earlier in the week.

7) Her biggest movie role was in Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955). Do you watch scary movies and shows all year around? Only at Halloween? Or not at all?

A. I don't watch them at all any more. I did when I was younger but I think The Shining was the last scary movie I saw.

8) In 1954, the year this record was released, President Eisenhower dedicated the Marine Corps. Iwo Jima Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery, just outside of Washington DC. If you were to play tourist in our nation's capital, what site would you be certain to visit?

A. The Library of Congress.

9) Random question: Which of these common household items would you miss most if it suddenly went on the fritz -- your bedside lamp or your hair dryer?

A. The hair dryer. The bedside lamp goes out all the time anyway. It's one of those "touch on - touch off" lamps, which are very handy next to the bed, but static electricity will make them blow easily. We have one on each side of the bed and I think we have to replace them about every two years or so. My hair looks bad if it isn't blown dry. When it dries naturally it frizzes and curls.
___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

7 comments:

  1. I would want to see everything in our nations capital since the only thing i’ve Seen there is the airport as I ran through it to catch a flight! I am also ready for the holidays to be over. I wish I could hide durning them! I buy my angel gifts every year since I graduated and that’s about all the celebrating I do since I have no one special to spoil or spend the holiday with. This year will be even worst not having my mom here, won’t seem like Christmas at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added the Library of Congress to my list of things to see in D.C. I imagine I could get lost in there for days. And love every minute of it!
    Isn't it funny, I stopped using a blow dryer because I figured out it makes my curly hair extra frizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Angel Tree totally counts! Just imagine how happy that little angel is going to be on December 25.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh--I can't believe I forgot that I want to see the Library of Congress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hair is the same way! I have to blow it dry. My hair is long though too, it takes all day to dry naturally.
    I totally think your angel tree gifts count! Those kiddos will be so happy! Just think what a difference you have made in those kids lives! Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my biggest thrills was looking myself up in the card catalog of the Library of Congress! I won't have the excuse to do that again, and I'm sure nobody else has looked me up, but it was a thrill at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on that frizzy curly hair thing too. Sometimes it looks good in the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.