Sunday, June 11, 2017

Sunday Stealing: High School

Sunday Stealing: The High School Questions
 
1. Did you date someone from your school?


A. I did and my husband also attended my high school. However, he graduated four years before I did, so we did not date during our school years.

2. Did you marry someone from your high school?

A. See above. I did.

3. Did you car pool to school?

A. I either rode the bus or I drove. We live in a rural area (I'm not far from where I grew up) and the kids all drove as soon as they obtained their license (which back then was 16. It is 16 and 3 months now, like 3 months is going to make a difference.). I don't think they allow that now like they did when I was young.


4. What kind of car did you have?

A. I drove a Datsun B210. My father picked up somewhere cheap. It was a hideous burnt orange color and had a hatchback. I drove the crap out of it, and then it was passed on to my brother.


5. What kind of car do you have now?

A. I have a Toyota Camry.

6. It's Friday night. Where are you now?

A. At home in bed.

7. It is Friday night. Where were you then?

A. Out at the football game or out with friends.

Me with my guitar.
8. What kind of job did you have in high school?

A. I played music in a Top 40 band, I babysat, and as I aged I worked occasionally in my father's office.

9. What kind of job do you do now?

A. I'm a writer. A lone wolf.


10. Were you a party animal?

A. No, though I did occasionally turn up at them.

11. Were you considered a flirt?

A. I don't think so, no.

Me with my flute.
12. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir?

A. I was in band. I played the flute, the piccolo, the clarinet, and the saxophone. I was also in jazz band for a little while, where I played guitar.

13. Were you a nerd?

A. Yes. I was a nerd before I knew what nerds were. I was a straight A student almost always; I graduated 5th in my class with credits from the community college.

14. Did you get suspended from school?

A. I received what they called "in school" suspension once because I kept skipping band class. I had that class last and sometimes I would just go home. Back then you didn't have to check out and go through security and all the crap the kids do now. You could walk out the door and leave, and the only way anybody knew you were missing was if you didn't show up for the class roll call. And then they thought you were absent unless they checked to see if you missed other classes. Unfortunately, the band director checked. "In school" suspension basically meant you were sent to spend time with the bad kids during your free period or after school, I can't remember which.

15. Can you sing the fight song?

A. We're Cavalier born and Cavalier bred and when we die we'll be Cavaliers yet! So rah rah for Cavaliers, rah rah for Cavaliers, rah rah for Cavaliers.  Very creative, eh?

16. Who was/were your favorite teacher?

A. I had many favorite teacher. One was Tina Flippen, who now goes by Tina W. because she remarried. She taught math. Another favorite was Dee Jones, now Dee S., who taught English. I still see both of them from time to time. Actually, I had lunch with Tina about a month ago.

17. Where did you sit during lunch?

A. At a table. Seriously, that was 40 years ago. I have no idea.

18. What was your school's full name?

A. Lord Botetourt High School

19. Where did you party the most?

A. I don't think there was any particular spot.

20. What was your school mascot?

A. A Cavalier. Some dude in a mustache with a hat and a rapier.

21. Would you do it again?

A. What, go back to high school? Heck no. I ain't no beauty school dropout.

22. Did you have fun at Prom?

A. I think so. I only went once, when I was a sophomore. My most cherished memory from my prom was when my date and I went by my grandmother's house so she could see me all dressed up. She cried.

23. Do you still talk to the person you went to Prom with?

A. No. I don't even know where he is.

24. Are you planning on going to your next reunion?

A. I went to our 30th reunion and I think that was enough for me. I don't expect to go to any others. I'm not sure we will even have another. Our class is not very cohesive.

25. Do you still talk to people from school?

A. There are a few here and there. My husband's cousin, who lives across the street (which in rural parlance means about a mile away), graduated the same year I did, as did another of his cousins. I am Facebook friends with many of the people from high school.

26. What are/were your school's colors?

A. They were red, gray and white.

9 comments:

  1. "Our class is not very cohesive." I like that description. I need to remember it to describe my own class. We were not "very cohesive" even back in the day with all the little cliques squabbling or ignoring each other. All of that lead me to the same conclusion about reunions as you, one trip to the 30th was enough for a lifetime. Loved the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a neat little orange car! I would go back to high school, or elementary/jr. high. I loved school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #17 - Good answer! I'm not sure I even ate lunch back then.
    My high school class seems to be very "cohesive." In fact, I think most of them still live within a few miles of the school, and still hang out with each other. Haven't kept up with many of them, except via Facebook. I moved away and lost touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter plays piano and also the flute, the piccolo, the clarinet, and the saxophone too, and has dabbled in cello and oboe. As a teacher of arranging at Berklee College of Music, the more instruments the knows how to play, the better arranger she is. The musical talent gene skipped over me, though my father was a jazz pianist

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first car was a '74 pinto( the year that blew up when rear ended!) go thing I was never hit! I was apart of the band crowd in high school. Some of those trips were like Vegas... what happens stays there! It was fun but I would only go back if I know what I know now and that isn't going to happen! You are missing a high school Facebook friend ... me. ( But we talk on the blog and that is probably more than we would on Facebook!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I don't know who you are. I knew I must know you. So were we in band together? Are you in my class? I confess I have wondered for some time about your identity.

      Delete
    2. Yes, we were in band and no didn't graduate with you. You will figure it out... I'm sure. 😁

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.