Too Fat Polka (1947)
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.
1) Have you ever danced the polka?
A. Can't say that I have. I wouldn't even know where to start.
2) The centerpiece of a traditional Polish polka band is the accordion. The accordion is a substantial instrument. Have you ever tried to play it?
A. I confess I used to play one, a very long time ago. I never played it very well, but I could manage a tune or two. (At one time I could play almost any instrument I picked up, back in the day.) They are heavy and require a bit of coordination to get the wind in and out properly so the sound flows.
3) The plump lady of this song cannot fit into the singer's car. How many passengers does your car comfortably seat?
A. Four comfortably. But you could do five in the front and probably stuff a couple in the trunk. It has a big trunk.
4) Would you like to lose a few pounds?
5) In the long ago 1940s, this song was considered amusing. Do you think it's still funny today?
6) Arthur Godfrey, who recorded this song, was a popular radio and TV host from the 1930s to the 1970s. Before this week's Saturday 9, had you ever heard of him?
7) One of his more popular radio shows was Talent Scouts. A 1940s-50s version of American Idol, this show gave previously unknown singers their first national exposure. Godfrey could point with pride to having helped discover Tony Bennett and Patsy Cline, but he made a mistake by rejecting Elvis Presley. Tell us about something you'd do differently if you could get a "do over."
A. Go to college right out of high school.
8) In 1953, Godfrey made news by having one of the nation's very first hip replacements. Have you ever been/would you be part of a clinical trial, either for a new drug or a new medical procedure?
A. I was part of a clinical trial back in the 1990s. I was in the "control group" in a test that had to do with testing urine for pregnancy and certain types of pregnancy issues that could show up that way. I'd had a hysterectomy at the age of 29, so I wasn't going to have a baby and couldn't mess up the control numbers. I think I was paid $5 per pee bottle or something like that.
9) RANDOM QUESTION: You and a friend are shopping. She tries on an expensive sweater and enthusiastically asks what you think. You think it looks awful. Do you tell her the truth?
A. I would say, "Well, you could go with that, but what about this one here? It has this blue/green/orange that really flatters your hair/eyes/whatever. And feel how soft/warm/cozy it is." :::holding it up::: "Why don't you try this one on too, before you decide?"
And if pushed for more of an answer, I would say, "It's really not my style, but you know yourself best." Or something.
So I guess no, I wouldn't tell her the truth. Everyone has her own taste.
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.