Saturday, March 11, 2017

Saturday 9: A Loretta Lynn Song

Saturday 9: Loretta Lynn sings (1968)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Not a song I knew, but I suspect I have heard it before, long ago.

1) This song is about a wife warning another woman off her man. Who received the last warning, of any type, that you issued?

A. My brother.

2) Loretta sings that when her husband picks up trash, he puts it in a garbage can. She's being metaphorical, but we will be literal: If you spot litter on the sidewalk, do you pick it up or just walk on?

A. I don't have sidewalks where I live. We do pick up trash along the side of the road if we see it. At the moment I have a dead deer by the driveway which I suppose my husband will move with the tractor and bury, since the state will take days to get here and it will stink badly if we wait for them.

3) She taught herself to play guitar. If you could learn something new in 2017, what would it be?

A. Something new. Hmm. I would like to learn a new language, or perhaps relearn the Spanish I used to know in high school. I also want to learn to crochet to see if I like it any better than knitting.

4) She broke her shoulder in a fall and surgery was required to repair it. When were you last in a hospital? Were you a patient or a visitor?

A. I was last in the hospital in 2013 and I was the patient.

5) In the 1970s, Loretta Lynn was the first country singer to appear on the cover of Newsweek. Who is your favorite country singer?

A. I am not particularly fond of the genre, but when I was a kid my parents listened to Glenn Campbell and I liked some of his stuff.

6) Rowan and Martin's Laugh In premiered in 1968, when this song was popular. What's the last TV show you watched? Did you watch it live, did you stream it, or catch it on DVR/Tivo?


A. I watched it live and it was the local news.

7) In 1968, Jacqueline Kennedy shocked the world by marrying Greek billionaire Aristotle Onassis.What's the last thing you heard that surprised you?

A. That my father, who was raised Catholic, was becoming a Baptist.

8) 1968's top-rated car was the Chevy Corvette. Could your car benefit from a trip to the car wash this morning?

A. Yes, it could.

9) Random question: You're staying in a hotel and find you can faintly hear the couple in the next room. Would you ignore their voices, or try to hear them better?

A. I'd turn up the TV so I couldn't hear them.

_____________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  (This is my 170th Saturday 9. That's over three years of playing.)

7 comments:

  1. ¿Hablas español? Hablo un poco de español. There, now I'm done. But like you, I'd like to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, Rocky Mountain High has a new meaning today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gal is such a show off .... :) (kidding of course)
    I hate seeing road kill. I walk a trail with a friend every Friday and there is this poor possum who has been lying at the edge of the road for at least a month. It'll probably be there until they come out to mow the lawn in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved Glen Campbell. I remember watching his TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did your father tell you why he became a Baptist? I'm just curious...I know an awful lot of former Catholics, including my husband and most of his siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes to Glen Campbell here, too, though I was trying to find a particular song by another country singer. I also like Willy Nelson a lot. "Good Old Shoe", from the movie, "Wag the Dog" is one of his.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Country music sounds more like pop/ soft rock today, I miss some of the "old timers " that sang real country music. Truth be told the buzzards will get the road kill before the state( not being ugly but truthful). I was also raised as one denomination of religion and baptist another. As I've gotten older I don't want to be a denomination, I'm a Christian, that's all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.