Saturday, February 04, 2017

Saturday 9: Some Guys Have All the Luck

Saturday 9: Some Guys Have All the Luck (1984)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Do you consider yourself lucky?

A. No.

2) When did you last risk money in a game of chance (lottery, raffle ticket, slot machine, etc.)? How did you do?

A. Actually, I won. Which invalidates the previous answer, I suppose. But I played a dollar in a "winner take half" pot thingy at an auction and I won $100. Not counting all the times in between when I've played the lottery. I seldom win anything on the lottery, though I have won $2 once or twice. 

3)  There's a major football game this weekend. Will you be watching? Do you have any money riding on the outcome?

A. Is it Superbowl weekend? I guess I won't be watching. I think I will be watching PBS. And no, no money on the outcome. I don't even know who is playing.

4) The composer of this song, Jeff Fortgang, is an interesting guy who's had two disparate careers: first pop musician, then Yale-educated clinical psychologist. It's possible that many of the patients who see him for help with anxiety or depression have no idea that he wrote this song. What's something your coworkers (or, if you're not working, casual friends) would be surprised to know about you?

A. I used to play in a rock and roll band. I've mentioned it here several times but my casual friends would have no idea, unless they read this blog.

5) Similarly, fans are often surprised to learn that this week's featured artist, Rod Stewart, is a history buff who loves reading about WWII. Is there a period of time or historic event that has captured your interest?

A. I have always been partial to the era of Mary, Queen of Scots. However, I love history and am very into my local history, too. I once was president of one of the local historical societies (which might also be an answer to #4).

6) Rod met his current wife as the result of a dare. Penny Lancaster, then in her 20s, spotted the decades-older celebrity in a bar and only approached him because her friends bet her she didn't have the guts to talk to him. Are you, like Penny, vulnerable to peer pressure? Can your friends talk you into doing things you might not otherwise do?

A. Not very easily, no.

7) Rod vividly recalls being 11 years old and going to see  Little Richard perform in a film comedy called The Girl Can't Help It. When you were a kid, did you enjoy going to the movies? What do you recall seeing?

A. In 1979, after the Salem Valley 8 opened, we went to the movies every week. It was within walking distance of my grandmother's house. That year was saw a bunch of B-rated films, like Sinbad, but the one that affected me most was The Amityville Horror. That movie scared me so badly that I have never watched another horror film.

8) The lyrics tell of when Rod's car overheats and he calls a friend, who doesn't come through. Tell us about a time recently when you were there and helped a buddy out.

A. Most of my "helping" is done by listening, or coordinating. I'm very good at finding the help others need if I know they need it. I am not physically able to help much anymore, but if I am aware of something then I do what I can. An example would be sending my husband over to fix my friend's septic tank. I didn't do the work, just made the connection.

9) The lyrics mention that "some guys do nothing but complain." Who do you know who is like that? Do you have a friend, relative or coworker who just always seems to find fault?

A. I think that might be me. I can complain with the best of them. Well, no, my mother was the best complainer ever, followed by my grandmother, so I guess that puts me in third place.

_____________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  




8 comments:

  1. I have never watched The Amityville Horror because I read the book first and it scared me to death! I had scary horrible dreams for the longest time and developed a lot of new fears. To this day it still rattles me just a little if I wake up in the night and it's 3:15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The local historic society gave a series of talks on the town last year at the senior center and they were packed! I didn't know that our town had the a pistol factory that was the first to introduce interchangeable parts in manufacturing firearms and to use machinery in their manufacture and they had the first federal government pistol contract. And it was located in the park where I go walking a couple times a week, maybe that is why it is called Pistol Creek... Duh.
    http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/B057_Crain_Saltus.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suck at complaining. I just move on. It is nice to have a friend who can make a connection. That is nice of you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should look into joining my local historical society. I don't know a lot about my hometown's history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had forgotten about Mary Queen of Scots. I went through a long period where I read lots about her when I was in grammar school. I was crushed to find out she wasn't the sweet person I thought she was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember reading about the rivalry between Elizabeth and Mary of Scotland. You could say Elizabeth won, I suppose, but history makes Mary the more sympathetic character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've also never watched that film because of reading the book first.
    Elizabeth was ruthless, pretty much like the Spanish King and undoubtedly, the French one. Mary would have had a lot of people killed, too, given the chance. The nobility was never very noble. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Darling Sister........... You hit #9 right on the head!!! (Troll, Troll Troll) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.