Saturday 9: Johnny Angel (1962)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song, a girl sings that she'd rather spend a quiet evening at home than go out on a date. How about you? Do you enjoy quiet time? Or do you prefer keeping a busy calendar?
A. I prefer to stay in and read a book, although I don't mind eating dinner out so I don't have to cook. My calendar is looking very white and peaked these days, since I no longer actively pursue my writing career. No meetings or phone calls on the schedule anymore.
2) She dreams of how her life with Johnny would be. What did you most recently daydream about?
A. A new car. My Camry, which is fortunately still under warranty, developed an issue with the passenger seat which required multiple visits and hours at the car shop this week. I hate dealing with car issues.
3) Shelley never considered herself a singer and is more comfortable acting. A costar on The Donna Reed Show, she was pressured to make this record by the show's producer, who wanted extra exposure for the show by having this song on the radio. Tell us about a time you ventured outside your comfort zone.
A. “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” I can't think of anything recent. Going up in a hot air balloon was way outside of my comfort zone, but that was 30 years ago.
4) Elvis said she was his favorite leading lady, and she appeared with him in three films. What qualities do you appreciate in a coworker?
A. Discreet, quiet, responsible, and trustworthy.
5) She met her close friend and fellow teen star Annette Funicello when they were 12 and attended the same Catechism class. What do you recall from your middle-school years?
A. This all happened within about a 3-week period around Christmas in 1975: I fell and broke my wrist, my father ran over my brother with a tractor, and my grandfather died. I was in 7th grade.
6) After The Donna Reed Show, Shelly went on to a recurring role on One Day at a Time and was twice nominated for an Emmy for her work on Coach. Her husband is Mike Farrell, who played BJ on M*A*S*H. Which of those four sitcoms would you enjoy binge watching?
7) In 1962, the year this song was popular, is also the year Jack Nicklaus began his successful pro golf career. Do you enjoy playing golf? Watching it on TV?
A. I do not putt into little holes, I do not kick into too-high goals, I do not play sports like many can, I'm not athletic, Sam-I-Am.
TWO Random Questions (especially for Harriet):
8) A 2013 study said most Americans will have 12 romantic relationships in their lifetime. Does this mean you've had more or less than your share?
A. I can't think of 12, so less. But the one I have has been long-lasting, and that matters more than numbers, doesn't it?
9) It's closing time at the mall and you find yourself accidentally locked in a toy store. You call the police and they say someone will be there in about half an hour to rescue you. While you wait, will you play with any toys? (If so, which ones?)
A. That might be kind of fun. I would play with the action figures, whatever they are now. (Captain America and Superman? Batman? Wonder Woman!) I haven't been inside a toy store in years.
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.