1. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. ~ Albert Einstein
2. Surrealism had a great effect on me because then I realised that the imagery in my mind wasn't insanity. Surrealism to me is reality. ~ John Lennon
3. 'Hamlet' is one of the most dangerous things ever set down on paper. All the big, unknowable questions like what it is to be a human being; the difference between sanity and insanity; the meaning of life and death; what's real and not real. All these subjects can literally drive you mad. ~ Michael Sheen
4. Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. ~ H. P. Lovecraft
5. Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtasked. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
6. Insanity is knowing that what you're doing is completely idiotic, but still, somehow, you just can't stop it. ~ Elizabeth Wurtzel
7. Human beings have speculated about the relationship between inspiration and insanity for centuries. ~ Patty Duke
8. Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
9. The personal ego already has a strong element of dysfunction, but the collective ego is, frequently, even more dysfunctional, to the point of absolute insanity. ~ Eckhart Tolle
10. The process of writing and directing drives you to such extremes that it's natural to feel an affinity with insanity. I approach that madness as something dangerous, and I'm afraid, but also I want to go to it, to see what's there, to embrace it. I don't know why, but I'm drawn. ~ Dario Argento
11. What a fine line there is between artistry and insanity. There's no formula for it, and I think a lot of people when they're around you - even those closest to you - when you're in that whirl of creativity and you're grabbing those things out of the air, there's no rational process. ~ Ronnie Dunn
12. There's a fine line between genius and insanity, as we all know. ~ Mackenzie Phillips
13. Sometimes you have to exercise your insanity, to really make it strong. ~ Flula Borg
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/insanity_4.html
Questions for you: Do you agree with these quotes (or any of them)? Do you think creativity is a type of insanity? Are there different types of insanity? Can one be insane and not be mentally ill?
What say you? What else might you have to say on this topic?
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 484nd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.