Saturday 9: Take My Breath Away (1996)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) When were you last breathless?
A. I have asthma, and recently we've had bad air quality from multiple fires (poor Gatlinburg). So I have had to haul out my inhaler a couple of times. That is the literal kind of breathless. But the other kind of breathless, as in, something emotional? Probably the evening one of my close friends told me she had a terminal illness.
2) This is the love theme from Top Gun, and the romance was between a pilot and his instructor. Have you ever had a crush on a teacher?
A. No. I liked my teachers, but I didn't have crushes on them. However, in the 4th grade, for some reason other girls thought Mr. Kinzie was a dreamboat and they would sigh over him during lunch. He was okay, but he was old.
3) The pilots in Top Gun all had cool nicknames -- including Maverick, Goose, Merlin, Cougar and Stinger. Give yourself a cool pilot name.
A. I think I'll go with Gandalf. Yes? No?
4) The actress who played the instructor, Kelly McGillis, owns Kelly's Caribbean Bar/Grill and Brewery in Key West. It's known for its cheese and beer dip appetizer, served with warm pretzels. What's one of your favorite between meal snacks?
A. Chips. Cheese ball with crackers. Something chocolate.
5) The group who recorded this week's song is called Berlin, but they're really from Southern California. Have you ever been to Berlin? How about Southern California?
A. I have been to California. Berlin's beyond my means.
I've also been through Oklahoma, and I always wear blue jeans.
I found true love in Memphis, and I lost my heart in New Orleans.
My life is now a circus, and you all know what I mean.
But I still get up in the morning, 'cause the eggs don't cook themselves
and I keep my heart wide open, instead of stuck up on some shelf.
When you see me in the city, tell me it's time to love myself.
Okay, somehow I started writing a country song there. Sorry.
6) Lead singer Terri Nunn has a weekly radio show, Unbound on KCSN. How often do you listen to the radio? Do you tune in for music, comedy, news or talk?
A. I listen to music when I shower, so I listen to it almost every day. Depending on the time of day, I might also hear the news or the DJs being silly.
7) In 1986, when this song was popular, PeeWee's Playhouse premiered. While ostensibly for children, PeeWee Herman's show had many, many adult viewers. Do you watch still watch any kid's shows?
A. No. Can't say that I do. I would, maybe, if I could find them on the satellite.
8) Robert Pattinson, the actor who played Edward the vampire in the Twilight series, was born in 1986. Have you read the Twilight books? Seen the movies?
A. No and no. The last vampire series I became intimately involved with was Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
9) Random question: In an alternate universe, which of these professions would you like to find yourself in -- United States senator, Ivy League professor, or imminent psychiatrist?
A. Is Donald Trump in that universe? No? Then I will be an Ivy League Professor. I teach Creative Writing, and have published 20 books of fiction, two books on writing, and one book on keeping a journal for self-discovery. My students love me and my creative writing classes always have waiting lists. Since I've been teaching for 25 years, I have a long list of alumnae who keep in touch with me, sending me Christmas cards every year and copies of their books.
Apparently my imagination is simply going crazy as I answer these questions.
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.