Saturday, October 15, 2016

Saturday 9: If I Knew

Saturday 9: If I Knew You Were Comin' (1950)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

(I assume I have heard this somewhere along the line of my half-century of life, as it sounds a bit familiar, but I don't recall it.)

1) This song is performed by a woman who is positively tickled to have unexpected company. How do you feel when people  drop by unannounced?

A. I don't mind, but it also does not happen very often. I can't remember the last time someone just "dropped by." Living out in a rural area makes it hard for folks to drop by because I'm not on the way to the store or something.

2) She is clearly proud of her skills in the kitchen. Do you enjoy baking? Cooking?

A. I like to bake and I enjoy making fudge. I am not so fond of dealing with dead meat and attempting to turn that into something edible. We don't starve but I do not consider myself a good cook.

3) Reference is made to hiring a band. Tell us the last time you were at an event with live music.

A. I suppose last Christmas sometime, maybe. We don't go out to bars or places that play live music.

4) After making recordings in the early 1950s, Eileen Barton appeared on daytime TV in the early 1960s -- including a game show called Video Village. Let's say we're all headed to a TV game show taping this morning. Would you volunteer to appear as a contestant? Or would you rather just stay in the audience?

A. It would depend on the game. If I were going to get dunked in red ink I would stay in the audience. If it were Jeopardy! I might volunteer to appear as a contestant.

5) In 1961, Ms. Barton got married in Juarez, Mexico. What's the longest distance you've ever traveled to attend a wedding?

A. About 40 miles, I suppose.

6) In 1950, when this song was popular, the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup. Are you looking forward to the upcoming NHL season?

A. Nope. I don't watch sports.

7) 1950 also marks the first time anyone in the United States paid by credit card. Do you pay with a credit card to get rewards? If yes, what rewards are you accumulating (points, cash back, airline miles)?

A. Yes, for cash back on a couple of cards and for points that I turn into gift cards on another.

8) In 1950, an athlete named Florence Chadwick swam the English Channel. Are you a good swimmer?

A. I can stay afloat for a while. I would not call it "good." Also, I haven't done it in quite a long time.

9) Random question: Think about the last "white lie" you told. Was it to spare someone's feelings, or to make your day go more smoothly?

A. Spare feelings. Kindness costs nothing.

_____________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. This is my 150th time to play.

6 comments:

  1. "Kindness costs nothing." Wise words!

    I save my Discover cashback bonus for giftcards at the holidays. It's a painless way to give someone (usually my niece) a little more than I otherwise would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unexpected visitors really don't happen often in the country, do they? I remember living in the wildlife preserve as a child and a car pulling up to the house was an event that caused us all to rush to the window to see who it was.

    I am in awe of anyone who can make fudge. I have no idea what I do wrong, but mine never seems to set up.

    Jeopardy is the one game show I wouldn't want to do. I wouldn't want to show off my lack of knowledge.

    Wise words on #9.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like people who just drop by,my house has that comfortable lived-in look

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live kind of far out for drop ins too, but when there are planned visits, I have been learning over the years to relax and realize it's about the friends, not the way my house looks. I like making fudge too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not much of a swimmer anymore. Floating around would be all right, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Kindness comment was lovely, and so true. Floating is good and it's all you need until the screaming you do attracts the attention of a life guard, eh? :-)

    We get cash back on a card, and points on another. We still pay them off monthly. It's hell to be in debt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.