Thursday, September 01, 2016

Thursday Thirteen

It's hurricane season here on the east coast. Are you ready for an emergency? Do you have an emergency kit ready? (I call it my apocolypse kit.)

Here are some things to consider:

1. Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation

2. Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food

3. Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both

4. Flashlight and extra batteries

5. First aid kit (bandages, aspirin, Pepto-Bismal, hydrocortisone, Benedryl)

6. Whistle to signal for help

7. Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place

8. Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation

9. Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities/ hatchet or axe for getting wood to start a fire if necessary

10. Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)

11. Local maps

12. Prescription medications

13. Eyeglasses, sunglasses

It never hurts to be prepared. What might you need to get through three days without electricity or assistance from others?

_____________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 463rd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. 

5 comments:

  1. I don't understand #7. I love moist towlettes but they always dry out before I use them. Love that we have a hand pump now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need a mask in case of something like the dust from 911, and plastic sheeting and duct tape in case you need to fix a broken window or something. I am envious of the hand pump. I wish we had one.

      Delete
  2. I am so not ready. In a real emergency I would probably end up drinking out of the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are lucky not even 10 minutes a day - loved that book too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, My Beloved Sandra and I have talked this kit to death. Talked, not created. We're done for, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.