Because Janelle suggested The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) The song begins with a chess reference. Do you play chess?
A. Not in a long time.
2) The lyric also mentions losing altitude. Often airline travelers complain that their ears pop as the plane loses altitude. When you fly, does this bother you?
A. I haven't flown since 1993. I do, however, have an inner ear issue and doctors have advised me that flying would be, at the least, painful. I also have difficulties in vehicles when we drive up mountains.
3) Four of the original members attended the same school -- Fairfax High in Los Angeles. Fairfax High's mascot was The Lions. Do you remember what your school team (grade school, high school or college) was called?
A. My high school team was the Cavaliers. My college, which was an all-female undergraduate school, has never had a school team name. They do have colors: green and gold.
4) The band has appeared on The Simpsons. Which is your favorite character from the long-running Fox cartoon show?
A. I have never watched it.
5) Bass player Michael Balzary, or Flea, cofounded The Silverlake Conservatory of Music, a non-profit educational organization for under-privileged children. Share a memory from music class in school.
A. I used to battle back and forth with another girl, Angie, for first chair in the flute section. The first chair person had the honor of playing the piccolo. Every six weeks, it seemed, we would compete for that chair. Generally it was one of the two of us in it.
6) The Red Hot Chili Peppers have played at massive outdoor festivals all over the world. Do you enjoy listening to concerts outside, under the sun or stars? Or do you prefer air conditioned indoor comfort?
A. Because people around here still puff on their cancer sticks, I do not go to outdoor concerts. (Cough cough.) I would if my fellow Americans would stop sucking on their nicotine and polluting my air, but since they haven't, I prefer inside concerts where smoking is now (thankfully) no longer allowed in this state - an occurrence which did not take place until 2009 when our soon-to-be vice president and former Virginia Governor Tim Kaine signed smoking cessation laws. However, they are only effective if the concert arena serves food.
7) Red bell peppers are used in Giada De Laurentiis' popular Italian sausage, pepper and onion recipe. Would you prefer to have your portion served in a bowl or as a sandwich?
A. Given that I have ulcers, I would prefer not to have it all.
8) Red cayenne peppers are very hot. Do you enjoy spicy foods?
A. See above. Ulcers do not allow me to eat such things.
9) Random question: Are you a spender or a saver?
A. I'm a saver. Who needs all of that stuff? Better to put the money away so I don't eat cat food when I am old.
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.