Ode to Billie Joe (1967)
If you're not familiar with today's song, you can hear it here.
(A favorite of mine!)
1) This song takes places on "the third of June," which is described as "another sleepy, dusty" day. Describe the weather where you were on Friday, June 3, 2016.
A. Yesterday we had thunderstorms in the afternoon. It was quite hot and humid for early June.
2) In this song, the family sits down to eat and discuss the doings of their friends and neighbors. Mama, Papa, Brother and Sister were at the table. Who did you have dinner with on Friday?
A. My husband. We had a salad.
3) Young Billie Joe MacAllister playfully put a frog down another kid's back. Do you see many frogs where you live?
A. We have little tree frogs that sometimes attach themselves to the glass on the doors.
4) This song made Mississippi's Tallahatchie Bridge famous. What's the name of a bridge in your neighborhood?
A. Hmm. Catawba Creek Bridge, I guess. Which is not much of a bridge. There's a swinging bridge in Buchanan, but I don't know if it has a name.
5) Bobbie Gentry often performed with Glen Campbell. Mr. Campbell's family is very open about Glen's battle with Alzheimer's. Is anyone in your life facing this terrible disease?
A. My grandmother, who is 96, has dementia, which is not exactly the same thing.
6) "Ode to Billie Joe" was made into a movie directed by Max Baer, Jr. Mr. Baer is better known for playing Jethro Bodine in a famous 1960s era sitcom. Can you name it?
A. Beverly Hillbillies
7) Bobbie Gentry made one of her last public appearances in 1981 on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Johnny is now seen in reruns on the Antenna TV channel. Think of the last TV show you watched. Was it new or was it a rerun?
A. The last show I watched Mysteries of the Museum, and I think it was a rerun but I had never seen it.
8) In 1967, when this song was popular, Sweden changed its traffic laws and Swedes began driving on the right. Have you ever driven in a foreign country? If so, did you have a hard time adapting to their laws?
A. I have never driven in a foreign country.
9) Random question: Which would you rather have more of -- compliments or hugs?
A. That's a tough one. I can't make that choice.
I encourage you to visit
other participants in Saturday
9 posts and leave a
comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate
rules. We love memes,