Thursday, October 22, 2015

Thursday Thirteen

From 2014. So far it looks nothing
like this.
1. The colors - where are the colors? So far the beauty of Autumn has been muted in my area. What's the foliage been like where you are?

2. Windows 10 has been the bane of my existence since I installed it. What were you thinking, Microsoft? You hoodooed and voodooed my contact with the world.

3. Earlier this week, my office clocks (yes, I have several in here) began to die off, and for a few days I had no idea what time it was. Thankfully, my husband helped me change out the batteries (they are hanging high or over top of things and I couldn't reach them) and now I know the correct time. I wear a watch, so you'd think this wouldn't have been so disturbing. You're supposed to stop a clock when people die, did you know that? Otherwise their spirit can't move on.

4. If I dressed up for Halloween, which I don't, I think this year I would go as Supergirl. Well, in my instance it would be a waddling Super Woman, but at any rate, I am looking forward to this new show. I hope it lives up to its hype.

5. Does anyone know anything about MSM?

6. On the old Andy Griffith show, the Darling family, folks from up in the hills, would use old home remedies for illnesses and pains. Sometimes I think I need to put a chestnut in my pocket and do the incantation for a sore foot.

7. Our fields are full of wild sage, and I have thought about drying it and bundling it to use for cleansing. Burning sage has been used for thousands of years as a remedy for clearing away bad vibes and personal healing.

8. I'm not sure what I am writing about today, but there must be a connection going on my brain somewhere. Sometimes my thoughts are like ghosts and goblins; they haunt me and scare me. Other times they're little fairies and just-awakened princesses.

9. I've mentioned before that the deer is my totem. I have totems running all over the front yard these days. Every doe has twins this year.

10. Today is TINKER DAY at my alma mater, Hollins University (a single-sex education facility, women only in undergraduate classes). This is an annual tradition. On some secret day in October, the president of the college cancels classes. The young women climb to the top of Tinker Mountain, where they enjoy fried chicken and Tinker Cake. They put on skits, dress up in crazy outfits, and generally have a great time. Here's a video of Hollins Tinker Day 2011. Go Green and Gold! (We've also never lost a football game since the college was founded in 1842. Of course, we don't have a football team, either.)

11. If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning. No I wouldn't. I would go back to bed. Besides, I have a hammer, unless my husband's run off with that one, too. He's bad about taking my tools. Do you have your own personal tool kit? Every woman should have one, and not one of those silly cheap pink sets, either. Real tools for real work. Because, you know, we're women.

12. My friends are the family I have chosen for myself. Thank goodness there are folks out there who "get me" even when I am not getting myself. Thank you, dear readers and fellow bloggers, for being my cousins.

13. Do you hear what I hear? That sound of seasons changing? The wind is whispering in a new voice, one that brings with it the cold. Winter is coming. And you know nothing, Jon Snow.


_______________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 417th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.

7 comments:

  1. I have deer crossing my yard too. I like seeing them.

    http://www.miaceleste.com/?p=588

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are at peak color in my area, but it seems a bit inconsistent this year. The Arboretum treeline along the Beltline Hwy is gorgeous, but the color in other trees doesn't seem as vibrant as it should be, and many have already dropped their leaves. Can't say I have heard of MSM, and so far I can't say I am a big fan of Windows 10 -- I hate that they've hidden the favorites bar, for one -- not to mention the trouble I had restoring all my favorites. And yes, I have my own tool kit -- one of the best Christmas presents ever from my parents. They got one for each of us when I was a freshman in college, and gets much use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors are muted here too. It started out so hopeful. Joe and I are going as Mario and Luigi, just borrowed the grandkids's hats. I'f I had a hammer, I'd nail it! I keep a few tools in odd places that suit my smaller needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leaves mostly fallen now, here; and we had our 1st flurries last weekend, with an overnight accumulation of about an inch. Fortunately, it didn't last...but it'll be back soon enough I guess. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rely entirely on the clocks in my computers and cell phone. When they are off I go nuts. Luckily they are rarely off.

    We had a slow leaf turning season this year. Some trees are already bare and some still green. The one I can see out my window is normally a bright orange. This year it is rust on top and green on the bottom. It's just that kind of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hollins University sounds like a school I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the shorts for Supergirl the other day. We must be getting the show at the same time as the US. We were in the Yukon a few weeks ago and they had autumn colors. We don't have much in the way of color where we live in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.