Saturday, November 22, 2014

Saturday 9: The Main Event

Saturday 9: The Main Event (1979)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

*Confession: When I was a teenager playing guitar in a band, this was one of the songs we performed(except it was the short version). We played a good bit of disco, as it was the rage at the time. The bass player made this song rock, if I remember correctly.*


1) This is the theme from a romantic comedy set against the backdrop of boxing. Sam admits she's not crazy about boxing. What about you? Do you enjoy boxing, martial arts or wrestling?

A. No. I do, however, use Tai Chi in my exercise routine. I find it very relaxing to perform the movements. It will help my migraines and lower my blood pressure in 20 minutes.

2) If you went to a dance club on a Saturday night in 1979 or 1980, you might well have danced to this. What are your plans for this Saturday night?

A. To read a book while I sit beside my husband as he flips through the TV channels.

3) Gilda Radner was one of the original Saturday Night Live performers and in 1979, she parlayed her TV popularity into her own one-woman show on Broadway. Who is your alltime favorite SNL cast member?

A. Jane, you ignorant slut. (Jane Curtin is my favorite.)

4) Sally Little and Nancy Lopez were at the top of the LPGA  in 1979. Do you golf?

A. No.

5) The movie The Main Event co-starred Ryan O'Neal. He is better known for Love Story, and saying the line, "Love means never having to say you're sorry." When did you last apologize?

A. I apologize for everything. I say, "I'm sorry" if I have to ask a salesperson a question. So who knows.

6) O'Neal got his big break on the nighttime soap opera, Peyton Place. He played Rodney Harrington, the handsome golden boy that all the girls dreamed of dating. Tell us about your big high school crush.

A. When I was in high school, we were all in love with David Cassidy as Keith Partridge.

7) In researching this week's Saturday 9, Sam discovered that The Main Event is a popular name for sports bars all across the country. Do you enjoy sitting at the bar or do you look for a booth or table?

A. Table.

8) The Mane Event was the salon Sam went to for years. She switched when it got too hard to get Saturday appointments. As a consumer, what's more important to you -- convenience or price?

A. Convenience.

9) More than 50 years after her first million-selling album, Streisand recently had a #1 hit with her current CD, Partners. What's the last song you bought/downloaded?

A. Song of the Lonely Mountain, by Neil Finn (from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey). Yes, I am a nerd.

8 comments:

  1. I also like the Song of the Lonely Mountain! Love live the nerds and geeks! I myself am one :D

    In the Company of Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. We that song in the movie? i don't remember them singing during the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, David Cassidy.... I have a crush on Shaun as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...Jane, you ignorant slut. (Jane Curtin is my favorite.) LOVE THIS! :) I was a David Cassidy fan, too.... had a poster of him on my wall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Jane. I wonder what she is up to these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your answers! This was a fun Meme. I always enjoy participating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't say I am familiar with the song or the movie. Not a big fan of boxing, though I did like "Million Dollar Baby". Not a fan of golf, either, but again -- liked the movie "Pat and Mike".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.