Saturday, October 18, 2014

Saturday 9: The Power of Love

Saturday 9: The Power of Love (1985)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In this song, Huey explains that you don't need a credit card to find love. What's the last thing you charged?

A. Groceries. I have a great card that gives cash back for everything you buy, and I put the groceries on it and pay it off once a month. 

2) This song was written for Back to the Future. At the beginning of the movie, hero Marty McFly traveled around town on his skateboard. Are you good on a skateboard?

A. I broke my foot on a skateboard when I was young, so I would say no.

3) Huey sings lead and his backup group is The News. Was the most recent news you heard bad or good?

A. There's that Ebola stuff in the news. One guy dies from an illness and the nation panics; nearly 10,000 people have been killed by guns since the Newtown shootings, and we can't even talk about it. In state news, the Republican candidate for Virginia senator seems to have run out of cash. Locally, the Town of Fincastle is getting ready to switch over to one-way streets!

4) Huey's mother, Maria, was born in Poland. Who is the first member of your family to be born in the US of A?

A. I am not sure. I've been where I am for at least 8 generations, with relatives who fought in the American Revolution, so it would be one of my many-greats grandparents.

5) Brainy Huey got a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT. Did you take the SAT? How did you do?

A. I did take the SAT. I don't remember the score (it was about 33 years ago!) but I do remember it wasn't as good as it should have been, given that I was an A student who graduated 5th in my class. I didn't test well.

6) This song also hit #1 in Australia, where anzac biscuits are popular. To make them (the recipe is here) you need coconut. Do you have any coconut in your home right now?

A. I despise coconut.

7) Thinking of dessert, would you rather have cookies, cake, pie, ice cream or frozen yogurt?

A. Chocolate cake.

8) We're definitely into autumn now. What will you remember most about Summer 2014?

A. My husband getting his hand caught in a hay baler will definitely be one for the books. He is doing very well now. He still has some mobility issues but the doctor has told him to do whatever he wanted.

9) Tell us your superhero name, as determined by the color of your shirt and an item directly to your right. For example, Sam fights crime as The Gold Kleenex Box!

A. CountryDew fights crime as the Blue Calculator.

8 comments:

  1. It is so true what you said about Ebols and guns

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Diana and you...there is so much more that is killing us....a lot of panic. I do believe that our Ebola worries should focus on getting it under control in West Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear, or read I guess, that your husband is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Blue Calculator! Yay! You'll be very handy! And I'm kinda the same way, I did well in school and ranked pretty high in class but I bombed the SAT, well the reading section, which baffled me because I always did well in that area. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your answers to Saturday9!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Blue Calculator is a very wise super hero. I hope she can get some of those guns off the streets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree about Ebola and guns, totally. I think I posted about Ebola as well? I didn't think to do local and state news, what a great idea. :) I love your superhero name, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1 - I was going to say groceries, but then I remembered stopping for allergy meds.
    2 - Not a skateboarder
    3 - Excellent point on the Ebola panic vs guns issue.
    4 - On my dad's side, that would be his oldest sister; Mom's side...not sure, they were here a generation earlier
    5 - I took the SAT but don't remember my score. I do recall that both a friend and I did better on the language portion than a classmate who bet that his Latin would serve him better than our Spanish/French would.
    6 - Do Mounds Bars count? I still have a couple minis left -- they are my fave candy bar, containing both dark chocolate and coconut
    7 - Fudge brownies (no nuts)
    8 - Can't say anything really sticks out about this summer
    9 - Umm... Somehow The Black Printer or Multi-colored Scarf seem to lack something as a super hero name

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.