Monday, September 15, 2014

Author's Talk: Beth Macy on Factory Man

Saturday my husband and I went to Barnes and Noble, Tanglewood, in Roanoke, to hear Beth Macy talk about her book, Factory Man.

Beth and I attended Hollins College at the same time, though she was in the master's program while I was an undergraduate. We had several courses together, though.
 
Beth went on to become the star reporter for The Roanoke Times. She's had an inspirational career and her writing has won her awards, acclaim, and fame.
 

 
Author Beth Macy
 
 
 
My husband is the man in black. He hung out at the rear of the crowd.
 
 
Beth reading from her work.
 
 
Gesturing during discussion.
 
 
At some point I became entranced by the number of post-its Beth had placed in her book.
 
 
For some reason, I think this picture, cropped though it is, is splendid. It is the perfect example of reading and writing.
 
 
 
Beth's autograph and note to me. The Write!!! came from my husband, who suggested she should add it to the page.
 
 

This is the book. It's nonfiction ostensibly about a man who built furniture in a little town called Bassett, which is just down the road a piece. It is, I think, much more than that. It is, instead, a commentary on the way the powers that be pay no attention to how their actions impact those upon whose backs they stand.
 
I'll let you know more about that when I've actually read it.
 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!! How fun that you could be there, and that your friendship has lasted through the years. I look forward to hearing how you like the book. I don't usually read non-fiction, but do on occasion. Please keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! The subject of her book is certainly a timely one, with so many companies moving their headquarters or entire operations overseas. They don't seem to understand or care how those actions impact the people or the country in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats to your friend and yes, let us know what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.