Monday, September 30, 2013

Apple Butter Cake


So my friend Rebecca over at Shenandoah Gateway Farm had a recipe for an apple butter spice cake on her blog a few weeks ago.

I am always on the lookout for good spice cake recipes. My husband loves things like zucchini bread, which I make with lots of good spices, and I make an Irish spice cake sometimes that is okay but not quite what I want. It crumbles too much.

Apparently I am unable to follow a recipe to the letter. Rebecca's recipe called for plain ol' sour cream, and I used fat free. She did not use self-rising flour and I did (that is what I always use). Also she suggested pecans and I opted instead for golden raisins. I also didn't have any cardamom (I don't even know what that is) so I just left that out.

All in all this was a very good cake. It must have been decent because my husband ate most of it. I took a piece to my physical therapist and she pronounced it "awesome."

It got better as the days progressed, too, which I found unusual. It did not dry out but instead seemed to grow more moist.

I think I will give this another go over the holidays.

Many thanks to Rebecca for posting the recipe.

7 comments:

  1. looks good! i always opt for fat free and i don't think it would make much of a difference. do you get apple butter from those people around the corner from us on etzler? i've been meaning to get some of theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does look yummy! I love a plain cake like that with no frosting or embellishment on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just printed out the recipe. Think I'll give it a whirl. But I'm going to find the Cardamom and make it as is. I've always wanted a reason to use the worlds third most expensive spice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks lovely - and very tempting. Cardamom is delicious - it's used a lot in baking in Northern Europe and goes very well in cakes. You only need a tiny bit to have an effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked it. And I love that you made it to suit you. A recipe is just a starting place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I love your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounded good...right up until the sour cream part. Ah, well...I have recipes for apple crisp and an apple coffee cake I want to try. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.