Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Zucchini Casserole

Our zucchini started coming in and the next thing I knew I had them everywhere.



Usually the only thing I do with zucchini is a stir fry or make bread. Sometimes I dip them in batter and fry them, but since I've had my gallbladder out I have not had any fried foods.

I searched the internet and came up with a recipe at cooks.com that I have now made twice. However, I don't always follow recipes and on both occasions have made changes.

Here is what you need:

4 pounds zucchini (about 3-4 medium ones)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
1 cup Bisquick
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted

Heat the oven to 350 degree. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish. You might also want to go ahead and melt the butter.

The original recipe called for salt, pepper, and garlic salt, but the first time I made it I used Mrs. Dash, original, and the second time I used a mix of Mrs. Dash and Emeril's Original Essence. My husband liked the second dish better. I think I preferred the first.

The first thing I did was chop up the zucchini. I used my food processor, which is actually a blender with an attachment.

It does the job. (I used to have a food processor but I burned it up using it for a creative paper-making project about 15 years ago and I never replaced it.)




Then I added cheese:
 
I used to use the pre-shredded kind but then I learned that it has cellulose in it to keep the cheese bits from sticking. So now I shred my own cheese.
 
 
 
I rather enjoyed the shredding part.









Then I added Bisquick. Then the eggs.
 
My mother always told me to never add eggs directly to a recipe. Always break them in a bowl first. That way if an egg is bad, you don't ruin all the ingredients.
 

That probably really only matters if you raise your own chickens these days.

Anyway, after you add the eggs, add the melted butter and seasonings (whatever you prefer). 
 
 



I topped my casserole with shredded cheese, though if you do this I suggest you might wait until about 1/2 way into the cooking process.

I didn't do that and I came very close to burning the cheese.
 
 
Put the casserole in the oven, preheated to 350 degrees, and cook for one hour.



I served this casserole at a cookout we had over the weekend to send the nephew back off to college. The family ate about half of it, which isn't too bad considering the young men generally do not like green and healthy foods.

This turned out to be 5 points in Weight Watchers if you figure 10 servings.


 

3 comments:

  1. sounds good...i like freshly grated cheese over that bagged stuff, it just doesn't taste like cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love this- gonna have to try it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Copying recipe to try. The zucchini are going crazy here, and you get tired of fried/sauted all the time. I also have a baked recipe I like that I have not made yet and freezes really well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.