Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hunkered Down

Last night the winds howled and the house creaked as Super Storm Sandy barreled along the eastern seaboard, taking out major cities in the northeastern part of the nation and dumping snow on West Virginia.

I woke several times as I felt the house shudder, or heard something bump on the roof.

Daylight brought good news: little damage. Perhaps the windstorm in late June had knocked loose the trees that were meant to fall, for I saw only a single cedar destroyed in last night's hurricane winds. I am so grateful that we escaped the damage the storm could have thrown our way.

The breeze continues somewhat furiously, though not as angry as last night, and it is expected to last a few days.

If you look closely in this picture, you will see seven does hunkered down in the tall grasses, hiding from the wind and cold.


Like people, they seek out shelter when the cruel winds of the tropic conspire to collide with the frozen clouds from the north.


Though they have thick fur hides, the deer, I think, still feel the prick of winter's chill.


These two have burrowed into the grass, dug in so tightly they are barely visible.


I am grateful for the electricity that heats my house and keeps the cold from taking over.

I am very glad I am not a deer.

Thoughts and prayers to those in the northeast who have not fared as well as we have here. May the waters recede and the grief of loss pass quickly.


3 comments:

  1. i know, i always think about all the animals left out in the cold. i know they are built for it but still i worry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that deer burrowed so deeply. Looks as though the deep grasses protected them well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you all fared well! In my opinion, Craig Botetourt Electric Coop. ROCKS! I was surprised we only had flickering lights. I think the derecho last July cleared out all the debris.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.