Friday, May 04, 2012

Columbine






I think it is sad that the name of such a lovely flower tends to evoke memories of a terrible event in our country's history.


These grow next to my deck. I've had a hard time getting them to bloom this year because the deer keep eating the them.


The flowers originally came from Ikenberry Orchards. They have a great greenhouse. Columbines are perennials so they come back year after year. They also spread well, so be aware. They will choke out other plants.


4 comments:

  1. i know what you mean....that's my first thought when i hear the name, although honestly i didn't even know it was a flower till i moved to georgia and my neighbor had some...beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful! I've never seen them in these colors. I've seen the pink ones before and loved them.

    Yes, beauty and tragedy in one word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call these lovely flowers aquilegia as well. That's free of assocations with gun crime, anyway. Oddly, while columbine is derived from the Latin word for dove, and aquilegia from the Latin word for eagle. The former should be the peace-associated word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a way it's a good thing. Such evil can't make everything ugly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.