Monday, April 30, 2012

Luck of the Irish


Earlier this week I found this four-leaf clover in my mother-in-law's yard.

It had been a long time since I'd found a four-leaf clover. For a long time, I found them everywhere I went, no matter the yard.

But then I stopped looking. So I didn't find them.

My husband says he has never found a four-leaf clover. But then, he has never really looked.

Perspective is all in what we make of it. If we look for four-leaf clovers, we will likely find them, provided we're looking in the right place.

Of course we won't find a four-leaf clover just waiting for us on the living room floor. But out in the yard, amongst the clover, odds are better that you might find what you're looking for.

If we look for bad things in people, then of course, bad things we will find. If we look for good, then we will find good.

The world is full of people who are quite willing to point out the bad things. You're lazy, you're fat, you're not fast enough, you're old, you're young, you're too skinny, you're a workaholic, you're too quick and don't think.

See, it's all a matter of perspective and in how you look at it. What's fat to you might be pleasing to someone else. Someone who's too old might be a fountain of wisdom to another.

I wonder what the world would be like if we all practiced looking for the good things. What if instead of telling people what was wrong with them, we told them what was right?

Perspective. Looking in the right place, at the right time, through the right lenses.

I have been accused of looking at the world through rose-colored glasses - from the perspective of someone else, I see too much promise in the world sometimes.

But the world needs a little promise, don't you think? Someone who looks for the four-leaf clovers - and finds them - and doesn't just trod them over and squash them beneath her heel.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I often think of the fictional character, Pollyanna and her Glad Game. It's all about attitude and how we look at things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have three but didn't find any of them in the normal way. One I found pressed in a used book I bought, one I found in my brother's wallet after he died, and the third my friend Mara picked and gave to me. Funny, I have been posted pictures on Facebook of our trip to Ireland in 1999 where I pressed a lot of shamrocks but those are everywhere and only have 3 leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.