Sunday, May 01, 2011

Books: Stuck

Stuck
By Becky Mushko
199 pages
Copyright 2011
Cedar Creek Publishing

Stuck is a quick-reading coming-of-age story about young Jacie, who must grow up quickly at a tender age because of her mother's illness and subsequent passing.

As her father moves forward with his life, Jacie must adapt. She must deal with a bully, learn to ride a horse, and figure out what to do about a stepmother. However, she feels stuck (hence the book's name) even though she is really moving on. She just can't accept the changes yet.

The book has an intriguing paranormal component wherein Jacie meets a ghost and helps her to cross over.

The locale will appeal to Virginia readers who will be interested in the Smith Mountain Lake descriptions. I always enjoy reading books set in the area, and this was no exception.

Since the book deals with horses and ghosts, I believe most any young girl (ages 10-14) would enjoy this book. The focus on horses in particular should be highly appealing. I remember when I was that age, I loved to read books with horses in it, and I can't imagine this has changed much.

This book was a delight to read, with well-written characters and a fast-moving plot that kept me engaged.

Becky was a teacher and so her book offers a study guide at the end that educators and parents will find useful.  She also is a friend of mine - we are in the Roanoke Valley Branch of the National League of American Pen Women together - and she recently asked me to read this, her new middle grade novel. I am happy to recommend it to all!

Becky has a blog, called Peevish Pen. Do visit her there!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Anita, for your review. I appreciate your kind words about my book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.