Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Mulberry Tree

My post yesterday about the scar on my lip reminded me of several other little stories and scars from my childhood.

I have a nice scar on my left thumb. It's about 1/2" long and is located in the knuckle. I received this scar at my grandmother's house.

I am not sure how old I was - 10, maybe? My grandfather decided to cut down a big mulberry tree in the backyard. The thing was always full of berries which attracted birds, and he had placed a small building in the backyard near the tree. The result was the birds constantly pooed on his building. No one likes bird poo on a building.

I am not sure how I ended up helping him cut down this tree. Perhaps I asked or maybe I was drafted. Perhaps I was competing with my two uncles, who I am sure were helping him, too. (My uncles are four years older and one year younger, respectively.) If I were writing this up as a story, I'd have to add all of this detail, I suppose. And I'd have to make it up as I don't remember.

In any event, I had a saw. I was sawing away at small limbs. I sawed at a wrong angle and ended up sawing my thumb.

It bled, my goodness, it bled. I ran crying inside to my grandmother, who put my hand in the sink to run the thumb under water to see how bad it was. As the blood cleared and I could see the cut, I started feeling woozy.

Everything grew dark. Plop! I passed out and ended up on the floor.

My poor grandmother. I wonder what she thought, having me there bleeding all over her kitchen. I remember awakening to find her looming over me, wiping my face with a cold, wet towel. She helped me into a chair and then made me lean over and put my head down, eyes closed, while she bandaged my thumb.

I did not get stitches for that cut, though perhaps I should have. That is probably why it is such a nice thick scar now.

So how about you, dear reader? How are your scars today?

2 comments:

  1. I remember this one too!!! Sorry....But I'm still LMAO!!! Was scared for you then but now ti cracks me up!!! Nothing like a good laugh at someone else's expense.......ESPECIALLY YOURS!!!

    But I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, I'm sorry I had to laugh because you passed out!

    I have a big scar near my armpit. I was always animal crazy. We went to visit my aunt (this was in Jersey City) who had a German Shepherd dog. I begged and begged and begged, "PLEASE let me walk the dog!" She gave in. She told me to be very careful and when I was done walking him, I could put him in the backyard. Back then they didn't bend down the pointy parts on top of the cyclone fences. They were there and sharp for a reason--so kids didn't climb them! I opened the gate to put the dog in the yard but kept the loop on the leash around my wrist because I was being careful--I didn't want him to get away! I closed the gate with the dog still attached and then he saw a cat! He pulled my arm into the fence. I actually didn't feel much. Ow, ow, ow, hold on Duke! I got the leash off and then stood there with my hands on my hips, silently cursing him. Then I felt something dripping. I looked at my arm. I was wearing one of those shirts with puffy sleeves. This was in the sixties. It was a white shirt. The sleeve was now red. I pulled the elastic edge away from my arm and there was a huge hole there! Don't faint Anita--I could see tendons and my bone... I got about eight stitches. I'm probably lucky I didn't get my arm ripped off. Needless to say, my aunt never let me walk the dog again.

    I have another scar on my head. That involves a table leg.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.