Thursday, November 04, 2010

Thursday Thirteen - Dona Nobis Pacem


For several years  I have participated in the "Blogblast for Peace" which comes from this blog.  This year it falls on a Thursday so I am offering up 13 things anyone can do to promote peace in his or her life or in the world.

1. Define it. What is peace to you? To me peace means no raised voices, no yelling, no domestic violence, no abused children, no wars, (and most definitely no negative campaign ads!), among other things. It means smiles and happiness, not fists and violence.
2. Think about it. Of course, you have to think about it to define it, but you also have to acknowledge a problem to deal with it. I see peace as a matter of priorities. Peace is not a priority for society so we don't have it. It really is that simple. Peace does not make money, bring profits, or send the adrenaline racing with violence. These are some of the reasons why I think we do not have peace. What are yours?

2. Talk about it. If you want peace, mention it to your friends, your family, and your coworkers. Examine the issues with another person and ask them why they do not believe peace is a possibility. How would their world change if there was nothing but peace in the world?

3. Organize events to promote the idea of peace. This doesn't need to be on a grand scale. Maybe you have dinner with your closest friends and you all sit down and discuss peace as a goal for yourselves and humanity.

4. Make changes in your own little world to promote peace. For example, do you yell and scream at the kids? Go for a single day without raising your voice. Better yet, try whispering for 24 hours and see what happens.

5. Seek resolutions. What would happen if politicians stopped arguing and actually began seeking solutions to the problems facing the world? Recently the TV has been filled with hateful verbage. No one was looking for answers because they were all so busy pointing fingers and calling names that resolutions and solutions were the furtherst things from their minds. Let's not do this in our individual worlds.

6. Be willing to act. You may be called upon to take a stand, write a letter, have a discussion. Don't shy away from the discussion, but of course do not let it become violent. You must also be prepared to walk away when voices raise in anger.

7. Create a sense of community. If you don't have peace within your neighborhood, or, God forbid, your own house, however will there be peace throughout the greater world? Get to know your neighbors. They aren't going to bite you.

8. Practice peace and patience in your own life. For example, when you're driving, don't give in to anger. For all you know, the person in the car that's poking along just lost a parent or has a very ill child. Give people the benefit of the doubt. They're so wrapped up in their own dramas that they have no clue that you're waiting impatiently behind them.

9. Use art to promote peace. Write poems, draw pictures, or tell stories to illustrate what peace means to you and how it might be obtained. Share these where possible.

10. Educate yourself, not only on the topics of the day but also on the larger philosophical questions. If you don't have a clue why humanity exists because you have never thought about it, then it is hard to convince someone else of the importance of something as broad-ranging as "peace."

11. Write letters to the local media and to your politicians advocating peace. Ask them to tone down the rhetoric. You can do this monthly if you want, but yearly is good, too.

12. Try to understand what is really the root of the problem and seek solutions, not ways to cover up the issue or circumvent the real trouble. Some issues are too large to have a single root but generally you aren't dealing with those, anyway. Look closer to home. What's really behind all the anger at work?

13. Meditate or pray. Every day, find your inner peace in whatever manner is comfortable for you. If everyone sought their inner calm, wouldn't the world be a little quieter at least for a few minutes a day?


Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here.  I've been playing for a while and this is my 163rd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.

22 comments:

  1. #4 let it begin with me - love that song

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. All we can do is create it for ourselves but its hard to feel with so much chaos, hurt, and anger in the world and politics right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. War, anger, hate, bad politicians..... I heave a sigh daily waiting for peace to happen.

    DI
    Great post, Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, it's here already? Darn! I meant to do it this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list. Peace is certainly a collective project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work on #8 almost every day. It's a long process, but I'm seeing changes and results on an almost daily basis.

    Sometimes it's tough to be patient, but in the long run it's worth the struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you. We all need to strive for peace. Thanks for all good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post. I think peace and consideration for others go hand in hand - if only some of my neighbors would relaize that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list!

    It has to start within ourselves. One step at a time.

    Thanks for stopping by my page and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superlative post. Great food for thought and action. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with you...

    Thanks for the great list, I too am participating in Blog Blast for Peace. Be sure to pop on over.

    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very insightful. I need to work on number 4 for sure. Happy 13! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my favorite posts of yours. I especially like #8 because I've started realizing what you said since I lost my mother. We have no idea what is going on in other people's lives and we should be more peaceful and patient if they are holding up traffic or even if they are cranky. I think I'll start signing everything, "Peace, Debi." I

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post. Peace is one of those things people talk about but don't seem to realize they can personally impact, every day.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When people say we won't find peace, I ask: why not? These are concrete things we can do to make our journey a peaceful one. Fantastic!

    ☮peace☮

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list...I especially love the idea of incorporating peace into your own mind and heart. Made me think of the Bible verse, "You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You."

    Your header photograph is so beautiful...I've been through Virginia a couple of times, but never got to spend any real time there, and I'd love to...it looks so gorgeous! Truly magic, as your blog name implies.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great list. A friend is singing St Francis of Assisi's Instrument of Thy Peace in church tomorrow and I'll be there :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found you from Dona Nobis Pacem. I love your site. I’m going to poke around a little bit, but don’t worry I’ll put everything back where I found it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are all excellent suggestions. I believe that each of us must be advocates for peace. And you have listed some good ways to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have read many, many (hundreds) of peace posts for Dona Nobis Pacem...yours stands out as one of the most thoughtful and thought-provoking.

    Wishing you peace, harmony and happiness x

    ReplyDelete
  21. 3. Organize events to promote the idea of peace. This doesn't need to be on a grand scale. Maybe you have dinner with your closest friends and you all sit down and discuss peace as a goal for yourselves and humanity.

    All of your points were excellent but this one stands out to me. Speaking peace leads to peace. I believe that. It's so hard to do in interpersonal relationships and dealing with uncooperative others at times. It takes patience but someone has to take the first step.

    Thanks for blogging for peace as you always do. It wouldn't have been the same without you!

    #1944 in the Official Peace Globe Gallery at blogblastforpeace.com

    Pacem,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.