Monday, April 19, 2010

The Botetourt County Chorus

Saturday night my husband and I went to the D. Geraldine Lawson Performing Arts Center, home of Attic Produtions, to see the County Chorus present its "Parade of Hits."

The Arts Center is located less than a mile south of Fincastle on US 220.

The Botetourt County Chorus has been around for over 30 years, maybe closer to 40. My husband remembered them doing a bang-up job in 1976, during the county's Bicentennial Year.

The "Parade of Hits" consisted of songs from the 1940s or thereabouts. Many of them I knew and enjoyed. The chorus sang 25 songs.



The Chorus with its 23 members.



Loren Bruffey, Sr., who is also my father, sang a solo of Merle Travis's song Sixteen Tons. I can remember him singing that when I was a little girl.



Nancy Duffy, a neighbor whom I had not seen in many years, turned the Wheel of Fortune on the song of the same name.



Emilee Duffy, Jordyn Duffy and Abigail Crowder as the Three Little Kittens (they lost their mittens!).



Lisa McCray as Mother Goose and Tommy Duffy as Father Goose. Father Goose drew a lot of laughs.



The Three Little Kittens were joined by the Cat and Fiddle (Jordyn Duffy) and the Cow who jumped over the moon (Emmy Divers) along with the Dish and Spoon (Ainsley Burks) and Humpty Dumpty, Caleb Divers. They were later joined by the Three Blind Mice (Susannah Harris, Seth Harris and Rachel Crowder).



Zoe Bruffey, who is my niece, hammed it up as Li'l Bo Peep.



Father Goose and the gang!



Brent Watts, weatherman on WDBJ 7 and a Buchanan boy, was emcee. He rarely was still enough for a good picture!



Reta Bogess was the Doggie during How Much is that Doggie in the Window.



My father danced with his wife, Rita, during Vaya Con Dios, the last song of the evening.



Another picture of my niece, Zoe, because she is so cute!

2 comments:

  1. That's quit the production and how neat that your father was in the show. Love these photos, Anita.

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, Anita. Seeing your little niece, Zoe, I can see alot of resemblance to you. Bet you may have looked something like her as a little girl? Looks like a really fun production.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.