Sunday, December 06, 2009

December 2009 Snow

The snow started yesterday around 7:15 a.m. and poured here all day, sometimes in large, huge flakes, until about 3:45 p.m.

It warmed up during that time and so what could have been five or six inches ended up leaving us about 2.5 inches on the ground.

Now it feels like Christmas!



During the early morning yesterday as the snow fell heavily



Birds, finding the air too heavy for flying, flocked around my house.



They rested in the poplar trees we planted 23 years ago (which are now dying from the top down, so sad!)



The warm November had confused some of the flora and fauna, and my marigolds were still showcasing color when the snows fell.



Early morning Sunday sunrise showed off the beginning of a new day.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely shots...it melted too quick here for me to capture anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shots, Anita. I especially love the birds on the poplar tree---it looks sort of like a Japanese print. And the snow on the marigolds looks very festive! And, of course, the rosy glow of sunrise on the mountain is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, snow in Roanoke! I love it!
    When I was growing up in Danville, we would all sit by the windows in school and look intently outside for any sign of snow. We wanted it to snow so badly, not only to get out of school early, but to go sledding. Sadly, it never did snow the whole time I lived there :(
    Now, of course, it snows all the time!!!
    Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some wonderful pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last shot is superb. It was a beautiful snow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.