Friday, November 13, 2009

Book: When Panic Attacks

When Panic Attacks CD: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Treatments That Can Change Your Life [ABRIDGED] [AUDIOBOOK] (Audio CD)
By David D. Burns
Read by Sam Freed
3 hours

The nonfiction audio book suppy at the Fincastle Library is pretty dismal, and when I was in there a few weeks ago looking for something to listen to in the car I came away with this.

I haven't had something that I called a panic attack in many years, but there was a time when I couldn't go into Walmart without feeling like I needed to flee the store. But then again, it was Walmart. That alone is enough to send a body screaming out into the parking lot.

The CD is a synopsis of the book and I suspect one would be better off buying the book and reading it if there is a problem in need of addressing. The CD had a lot of testimonials and stories about people with problems and how Burns' counseling techniques helped over come them.

I was particularly intrigued by some of the journaling methods he mentioned and may at some point look for the book just for those. I like to try new things in my private journal.

Your feelings are your thoughts is the basic premise of this book as well as the first one, Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy. I read that a long time ago but it has been so many years I couldn't tell you what it said. It is probably something I should revisit from time to time.

8 comments:

  1. I was just referencing David Burns yesterday when someone mentioned cognitive behavioral therapy. Great stuff. Back in the day when I worked as a counselor we used that a lot when working with chronic pain patients. I think everyone could benefit with at least some of the basics of his writing. I should revisit the Feel Good book. Been so long. It is very practical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Feeling Good" helped me overcome my panic attacks many years ago. Everytime I go to a library sale and see copies of that book I buy them all up. I've handed out quite a few to friends who needed it. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only experienced one panic attack and that was 19 years ago. Thank goodness the feeling never occurred again.

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting read! I have to try to pick that book up at the library.

    I agree with you on Walmart. Though I love shopping there, it certainly does induce panic with how it looks, the crowds, and how large the darn store really is. I still have trouble going into ours without feeling panicky. No problems with other stores though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love self-help books. I should read those. We are in control of what we think. And therefore, feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone was mentioning and just gave me some David Burns stuff last night. Odd. I should look into it when I go to the library today, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very helpful and informative. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I've felt like running out of Walmart on more than one occasion.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments and always appreciate the opportunity to visit the blogs of my readers. I hope you have a great day!