Sunday, October 25, 2009

Writing Workshop Success

My first writing workshop, The Business of Freelancing, was successful.

While I only had four students, for a first time I was quite pleased with the number. Since I am not used to public speaking or standing in front of people and offering up insights, this was a comfortable group for me.

Most notably, I never once felt the familiar flushing and self-consciousness that I generally experience when I am before a group. I was really pleased about that.



During the three hour session, I talked about the difficulties inherent in freelancing as well as the pleasures. I explained how to set up an office, keep records and be business-like.



I talked about query letters and courage. It takes a lot of courage to offer up a precious idea to an editor; it's a 50-50 shot at rejection, at after all. The editor will either say yes or no.

We also went over ways to gather your information, most particularly how to interview. It's easy to write an article if you have your information in front of you. A good interview is vital to a good article. This is important stuff if you want to be a freelance writer.



Two of the four ladies who attended are friends of mine; I am sure that went a long way toward helping me overcome my stage fright. I have treasured my relationship with both of these ladies for many years and I am grateful for their support.



This event was very good for my self-confidence and I may have discovered a new niche for myself. The ladies who attended said the information was good; one told me she learned more in the three hours with me than she had in two years' attendance at the Roanoke Writer's Conference. That made me feel good for sure.


*My friend Gwen Johnson took these pictures for me during the workshop break. My thanks to her for the pictures, her presence and her support.

9 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that your first workshop went well, Anita. I do hope that this will continue to be a successful career direction for you---all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You don't look nervous at all. I'm glad it went so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone needs a niche and I hope this is yours. I don't like being in front of a group either... in fact I used to stay home from school just so I would not have to give a speech. I always felt so inadequate. Glad this went well for you, Anita!

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear of this success, Anita! I saw the announcement in the Fincastle Herald for it. I like the atmosphere of the library, I always feel pretty relaxed there. And friends do help calm the jitters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I'm so glad it well for you.

    My hubby used to be very afraid of getting in front of people and now he teaches college and does all day seminars. He says it's just a matter of getting used to it. Sounds like you are well on your way to a new career!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so proud of you for coming so far. It is such a blessing to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My nerves are directly related to the size of the group too. I'm due to speak to a group of young counseling students at RU (using my book as part of the curriculum). I get less nervous each year but I have to be super prepared.

    I'm glad the class worked out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Small groups are much better. Glad you had such good success!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.