Monday, July 14, 2008

MIL Update

My mother-in-law, E., had surgery for her broken hip, finally, around 9 p.m. or so last night.

It went well and she was in recovery by midnight. My sister-in-law stayed with her mother last night and everyone else went home for some much-needed rest.

My nephews spent the night with their grandfather. My husband has taken the boys and his dad to Shoney's for an all-boys breakfast this morning. He then plans to take his father to the hospital.

I have deadlines so I am home working. I likely will go up later today to relieve someone or just to visit or whatever I am asked to do. If they think I am better used elsewhere, like doing the in-laws laundry or something, I will do that too. I think things like that will be sorted out better once they have a firmer grip on what is happening, probably later this morning.

My sister-in-law called around 6:30 a.m. and said E. was resting comfortably and eating a little. They will try to get her up to stand on her leg today.

The doctor said he didn't anticipate she would be in a lot of pain, but I don't know how you can have something like that done and *not* have pain.

They will discuss rehabilitation with her later today. We expect she will have to go into a facility for a while, time unknown at this point.

My mother-in-law has scarcely been sick a day since I've known her, other than an occasional headache or a mild cold. She has always enjoyed good health. She is a very quiet and undemanding sort of person and she will worry herself more about my father-in-law, who has heart issues and carries around oxygen tanks, than her own health. She is an old-fashioned lady who caters to his every whim. He will have to get over that, I guess, at least for several months.

Getting old pretty much sucks. It is certainly not something to look forward to and no reward for a life well-lived.

8 comments:

  1. Lots of well wishes coming your way, CountryDew. It's good to hear that your MIL has such a tight support network to look out for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's fall. I'm glad to know that her surgery went well. Sending prayers, positive thoughts, and best wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope her doctor is right about "no pain". Poor thing. Here's wishing her a speedy recovery. She's lucky to have family and friends around so that should help immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear such horrible news! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know this will be difficult for everyone, but am glad to hear she will recover. My MIL never did and we still miss her today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your MIL is on the mend. It's always trying on a family when someone needs surgery, but it sounds like your family is great at sticking together and helping each other out. Your right, it does suck to get older! Sin has really ruined the world. Your family will be in my prayers. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative, my beloved grandfather used to say as he dove into his 80's.

    I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. I know the stresses that adds to life and to the heart. Hang in there!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, as someone once said: growing old ain't for cowards. Wishing you and yours well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry she is having a rough time but am relieved that the surgery went so well. She is lucky to have a sweet and caring family such as yours. I'll put her on my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.