Saturday, July 19, 2008

Big Spring Park

Welcome to Big Spring Park in Fincastle.



This little park is the site of many weddings and other events. During the week, it is mostly empty, though.



There are a couple of memorials in the park. The above is for September 11. A few stone benches in the park have the names of Big Spring Garden Club members who have passed on.



When I was in elementary school, which was a long time ago in the 1970s, we'd troop down to Big Spring Park for our end-of-year picnic. The park is within walking distance of Breckinridge Elementary School. I thought then that it was the greatest park in the world.



The park is also next to Fincastle Presbyterian Church. The cemetery holds the remains of a number of Botetourt County Revolutionary War heroes.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing the park. It reminds me of special places I used to go to during my childhood in Danville. I miss it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, not sure I've ever paid attention to the park, but I've run through and wandered through the old cemetary. Fascinating history there I'm sure. =) Hope you are doing well blog friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty little park--I know it must hold fond memories for many folks, as it does for you. It looks like a wonderful place for a school picnic, with all that green space to run around in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh, I've never been there. What wonderful memories and what a neat little spot for writing. Enjoyed your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a wonderful little park. Stopped and visited today. May 27, 2020.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.