Saturday, October 26, 2024

Saturday 9: Me and Bobby McGee




Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) The song begins with Janis telling us about a trip from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. Have you ever visited Louisiana? If yes, where did you go?

A. I think I have been through Louisiana when my parents drove us to California in 1977, but I am not 100% certain of that.

2) She and her boyfriend Bobby hitch a ride with a truck driver and together the three of them sing "every song the driver knew." If you were to begin a singalong with strangers in a bar or at a party, what song would you confident everyone knows?

A. Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond. They'd know the chorus, for sure.

3) Janis had a painful time in her Port Arthur, TX, high school. She was ostracized for her looks and her taste in music. If you could give advice to your high school self, what would you say?

A. Don't worry so much, it'll all work out in the end.

4) She credited the blues and Bessie Smith, specifically, for getting her through her tough adolescence. After she became famous and mentioned Bessie in interviews, Janis learned Ms. Smith had been buried in an unmarked grave back in 1937. Janis rectified the situation by paying for a proper tombstone for Smith in 1970. If money were no object, what's something you would like to do for someone else?

A. I just learned today that there is a thing not only in the USA, but all over the world, called Period Poverty, and it means that there are thousands and thousands, probably millions, of women in this world who can't afford the things they need for their monthly cycle. This means that they end up missing school, missing work, or missing out on life stuff. In some countries, women on their periods aren't allowed to cook, or they are forced into isolation for the duration of their period and have to go live in a little hut specifically for this. This would require loads of money for education and supplies, but good heavens, this needs to be addressed. I was privileged; I never worried about whether or not I could afford what I needed (and I had a hysterectomy at 29 so it wasn't a problem for me after that). It never even occurred to me until today that this was an issue, but of course it's an issue.

5) Because of her party girl persona, people were surprised that Janis had a domestic side and enjoyed talking recipes. Thinking of cooking, what dish would you whip up for our Saturday 9 potluck?

A. Um. I'd bring chicken from the grocery store, a bottle of Dr. Pepper, and a bag of chips.

6) "Me and Bobby McGee" was written by the late Kris Kristofferson. Kris' life before hitting it big was varied, including time in Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar where he focused on English literature, and serving as a helicopter pilot in the US Army. Which career path do you think you'd enjoy more: academia or the Army?

A. I am definitely an academic. 

7) In 1971, when this song was popular, the US Mint introduced the Eisenhower Silver Dollar. Think of the last thing you bought at a store. Did you pay with cash, plastic, or your phone?

A. I paid with plastic. I still haven't worked out how to do things like that on my phone. I'm not sure I want to.

8) England's Princess Anne turned 21 in 1971 and in honor of the occasion, she had an official portrait taken by fashion photographer Norman Parkinson. Who took the most recent photo of you?

A. A friend took a picture of me when I received my volunteer service award on October 13. My husband tried to take pictures too, but he is not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination, bless his heart.

Hubby took this. I cropped it and straightened it.

9) Random question -- There's a knock at your door. Who do you expect it is?

A. It is probably UPS with an Amazon package.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.