Saturday, April 06, 2024

Saturday 9: Diamond Girl




Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) This week's song is by Seals and Crofts, a pair of Texas boys who met when they both joined a local band called The Crew Cats. Have you ever visited The Lone Star State? If yes, where did you go?

A. If I have been there, it was in 1977 when my parents drove us across the US to California. But I am not sure we went into Texas. I was 14 years old and I really wasn't paying attention to what states we rode through.

2) Lead singer Jim Seals compliments his girl by comparing her to a precious stone. What's the nicest compliment you have ever received? Who was it from?

A. I recently had my former editor tell me this: "You were fearless when you went after a story." That may not be the nicest compliment I've ever had, but it certainly ranks up there. Now I keep asking myself, where did that fearless woman go?

3) Diamonds are birthstone for people born in April. What's your birthstone? Do you wear it often?

A. My birthstone(s) are pearl, alexandrite or amethyst (depending on the website), and moonstone. My birth month is one of only three months to have three birthstones. I have always used the pearl and amethyst as my birthstone, and I have jewelry with each. I like to wear pearls; for some reason it brings out my facial features when I have on a pearl necklace. 

4) In ancient times, Hindus believed diamonds brought good luck. Do you have a good luck charm?

A. No. 

5) On the other hand, some believe that one of the world's most famous gems, The Hope Diamond, is cursed. 14 of its owners have died from unnatural causes. Those who possessed the diamond committed suicide, were murdered, tortured to death in prison, and even torn apart by dogs! If you received a beautiful piece of jewelry that was rumored to be cursed, would you be concerned? Or do you think curses are silly?

A. I'd probably sell it as soon as I could if it were as valuable as The Hope Diamond. That would pay a lot of bills. I don't know that I would be concerned about the curse. I think curses are things that only have power if we believe them.

6) Rare diamonds share an element with the common pencil. Both contain graphite. Sam is crazy about pencils, pens and felt-tip markers. Do you enjoy shopping for office supplies?

A. I love shopping for office supplies, or I used to, anyway, back when the stores were better stocked. We only have a Staples now and I don't particularly like shopping there. I'd rather shop for office supplies than anything else.

7) In 1973, the year this record was popular, Shelley Hack was a hard-working and well-paid model. She regularly appeared on the pages of catalogs, on magazine covers and then launched Revlon's popular Charlie cologne in print and on TV. What commercial have you seen recently? Did you watch it on TV, online or on your phone?

A. It would have been on TV because I have an ad blocker on my computer, and I don't recall seeing any ads on my phone because all I've been doing with it is listening to a book. I remember a Toyota commercial with a 4.59% interest rate or something like that from last night. To be honest, I usually have a book in my hand when the TV is on, and I read that during the commercials.

8) Also in 1973, Motown great Stevie Wonder was in a car accident that left him with a scar on his nose. Tell us about how you got one of your scars.

A. I have a scar on my hand that I obtained from a minor scratch in the county courthouse one day while I was over there looking up records for a story I was writing. I remember I hit my hand on the corner of a filing cabinet and didn't pay much attention to it until I saw a drop of blood splat on the court document. Then I had to hit up somebody for a Band-Aid. The court document will be there forever; so will my drop of blood. I have always been surprised that this little scratch scarred.

9) Random question: What's your perfect day -- weatherwise?

A. Blue skies with an occasional cloud, an occasional very mild breeze, and between 70 and 72 degrees, with the trees fully leafed out, birds chirping, and bees buzzing.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

7 comments:

  1. I saw an interview with Robert Redford and he was looking back on his career. He did some of his own stunts for a movie called The Great Waldo Pepper where he played a barnstorming pilot. In the 70s he was proud of himself but decades later he couldn't believe he'd done it at all. "As we get older, we get spooked." Old Sundance is right. We better understand all that can go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #9-beautiful visual. That sounds like a perfect day indeed.
    I feel like I used to be more fearless and willing to do more things. I hate that I have changed. That is a great compliment to you! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 I know what you mean, I’m just tired of tilting windmills.
    #6 It seems like all the local stationary store succumb to the big box stores.
    #7 Ditto but instead of a book, a laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly, I am more fearless now than when I was younger. We have similar perfect days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We both prefer the same kind of day.
    I love the story of leaving blood on a court document!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, pearls … I have to start wearing mine again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the weather we had while in San Diego. We will have that next week too, but going up to the low 80's.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.