Thursday, March 28, 2024

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen books I've read this year. (I've read more than 13, but this is Thursday Thirteen.) I read a variety of things, from young adult to mystery to science fiction. I'm a little behind on my fantasy so far.


1. A Wolf Called Wander, by Rosanne Parry. A story told from the wolf's perspective as it flees its home and searches for another. It reminded me of Pax.

2. The Pecan Man, by Cassie Dandridge Selleck. A story about race, along the lines of Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. Very intriguing and timely story.

3. City of Girls, by Elizabeth Gilbert. A book set in the 1940s in New York, about the theater and women.

4. Murder at the Taffy Shop, by Maddie Day. A mystery. I must not have been overly impressed because I don't remember much about the book.

5. This is How You Lose the Time War, by Max Gladstone. This was a great SF novella about two time-travelers who work for opposing forces to keep their versions of the timeline in play so that they have the outcome they want.

6. The End of Her, by Shari LaPena. A couple has new children, their lives are sort of perfect, in walks a stranger. Perfect no more.

7. Commonwealth, by Ann Patchett. A family splits apart; some of the children have to live part time in Virginia and part-time in California. Covers decades. Patchett is one of those authors I am supposed to adore, like Barbara Kingsolver, and I keep reading her waiting for that to happen.

8. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo. This was a sweet story about a little China toy and how it is lost and found again.

9. Educated, by Tara Westover. Probably one of my top reads so far this year. This memoir relays how a woman was homeschooled and how she overcame certain things to obtain her Ph.D.

10. The Girl in the Castle, by James Patterson & Emily Raymond. This book surprised me. It was about a young woman who seemingly time traveled in her mind while her body stayed put. It was actually about mental illness. Very well done. I wasn't expecting much out of it, but it has stuck with me.

11. Dirty Thirty, by Janet Evanovich. Will she or won't she? Stephanie Plum gets involved in one of the better plots in this series and has a cliffhanger at the end involving her relationships with Morelli and Ranger. No spoiler!

12. Talking to My Angels, by Melissa Etheridge. This is Melissa Etheridge's second book. The first half is a rehash, for the most part, about her childhood (and I don't care what she says in the book, she isn't over that like she thinks she is). The latter part is about her search for Spirit and briefly, the death of her son during Covid. This is one of the few times I've read a book by someone I thought I liked and/or admired and found that I didn't like her as much after I finished. I am not sure why that was.

13. The People We Keep, by Allison Larkin. This book is about a young girl who is tossed away by her family, and her efforts to live by her art (music) and maintain some sort of sanity. It was very well done, and I highly recommend it. It made me tear up at the end and I don't normally do that.

______________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 853rd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by several of these titles--I will be adding to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of Shari Lapena's books are better than others, but I've enjoyed each one I read. I know I'll get to this one. I'm sorry that the Melissa Etheridge memoir was something of a misfire for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a few but can't even remember their titles now! My bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Supposed to adore"? I know Ann Patchett is popular, but if she doesn't speak to you, she doesn't speak to you. The Time War one looks like it'd be up my alley. Interesting how the Etheridge book made you think less of her. Sometimes it's better not to know too much about famous people. The more we know, the more there is there to find flaws or such.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.