Saturday, December 07, 2019

Saturday 9: The Champion

Saturday 9: The Champion (2018)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about doing what it takes to win. What's the most recent competition you won? (Yes, online solitaire counts.)

A. I finished a jigsaw puzzle in Microsoft games.

2) The lyrics tell us to "go ahead and put your bets on me." Do you often play games of chance -- like the office football pool, or slot machines, or the lottery?

A. We play the lottery a few times a year. I wouldn't call it "often."

3) The video includes footage of young people competing in The Special Olympics. What's your favorite sport to watch? Is it the same sport you most enjoying playing?

A. I like to watch ice skating, but I don't skate.

4) This week's featured artist, Carrie Underwood, first came to America's attention when she won on American Idol. Prior to competing on that show, she'd never been on an airplane. How old were you when you took your first flight?

A. I was 29 years old.

5) Carrie loves horror and her favorite author is Stephen King. What book are you currently reading?

A. Overstory, by Richard Powers

6) Carrie's duet partner on "The Champion" is rapper Ludacris. In addition to making music, he acts and has appeared in one Sam's favorite shows, Law & Order: SVU. What's your favorite "cop show?"

A. I don't watch cop shows, unless you want to go way back to Cagney & Lacey and Hunter.

7) Ludacris is a distant cousin of comedian Richard Pryor. Have you studied your family's genealogy?

A. Yes, I have. According to my mother, on my father's side we're distantly related to Richard Nixon but I have not found that connection. I think she had bad intel.

8) Soccer was a big deal in 2018, the year this song was released. According to Google, "FIFA World Cup" was the news story that generated the most internet searches. What's the last thing you "googled?"

A. A coat I wanted to purchase for my husband for Christmas.

9) Random question: You're battling the flu. The doctor advises you to stay in bed a full five days. As you begin feeling better (around Day 3), do you continue to follow doctor's orders? Or do you get up and start moving before you're supposed to?

A. I'm married. Married women do not get to follow doctor's orders unless they are comatose. I would have been up the first day. In fact, I'm sick right now and probably should be in bed, and I've changed two beds, washed five loads of clothes, gone after the newspaper, helped my husband shower and dress, and carried out the trash.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

4 comments:

  1. I remember Hunter! Did you know that Fred Dryer was the network's first choice to play Sam on Cheers? (And people say I have no reason to remember all the trivia rattling around in my head. Ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to look for jigsaw puzzles on Microsoft games--I love the idea of puzzles but I lack the space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on #9. If I am in bed sick you know I am sick to the point the vultures are circling!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.