Saturday, September 22, 2018

Saturday 9: Listen, People

Saturday 9: Listen, People (1966)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Basically Herman is telling us that we each both break hearts and have our hearts broken during our lifetime. Do you agree?

A. I can see where this might be true. Lots of people have secret loves and secret lives.

2) He implores us to take his advice. Have you more recently given or received advice?

A. Mostly I have taken advice lately on housing renovations. I have to listen to the carpenters and installers who know more than I do.

3) Herman's real name is Peter Noone. He was popular with girls because of his bright, toothy smile. How's your oral health? When are you due to go to the dentist?

A. My last check-up was great and I return in February.

4) Peter/Herman got married on his 21st birthday. That's one way to make sure you don't forget your anniversary. Do you have a good memory for anniversaries and birthdays?

A. I mark them on my calendar. Sometimes I am a day off.

5) Between 1965 and 1971, the Hermits worked very hard. They appeared on all the major TV shows of the day, recorded albums, made a movie and then crisscrossed the United States and the United Kingdom, performing live. After those six years, Peter decided he'd had enough and left the group. Have you ever felt burned out and ready for a change?

A. I have, yes. That was one reason why I finally took my doctor's advice and stopped writing for the newspaper. I didn't feel like I was doing the best job I could do because I was limited by money, time, and health.

6) In 1966, when this song was popular, the miniskirt took the fashion world by storm. What's the most recent piece of clothing you added to your wardrobe?

A. I bought a few tops.

7) In 1966, TVs were expensive pieces of furniture. A set with a 16" screen and a wood console sold for $250, which is $1,950 in today's dollars. Tell us about your TV. How big is it? Where did you buy it?

A. My TV is 55" I think. It's new. We bought it last spring when it was on sale because the new models were coming in. It is a smart TV except I don't have it all hooked up to be as smart as it could be. We bought it at a place called Lee Hartman's, which sells TVs and cameras.

8) David Schwimmer, aka Ross on Friends, was born in 1966. Who was your favorite Friend?

A. I didn't watch Friends. I think I might be the only person in the world who has never seen an episode of that show.

9) Random question -- Describe your dream car.

A. My dream car would be a white Toyota Avalon. I think they are pretty cars. Darn. Now I'm going to have to go to the Toyota Website and design one.

Here you go:


That price tag is why I drive a Toyota Camry instead.
_____________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

7 comments:

  1. "Money, time and health." Yes! Those things ended up playing a greater role in my professional life and decisions than I ever thought they would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at Toyota with my mom last summer and I think it was an Avalon I was looking at (just for fun)...because it was beautiful. I might want to upgrade to that instead of the Camry...which is what I put as my answer. Toyota's are such great cars! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of trading my Tahoe in for an Avalon. I've driven an SUV for so long but really think I could get a car at this point in my life and be just fine. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to put all the important dates on the calendar, but there are a couple that I never seem to be able to get right. It drives me nuts!
    I just realized today that in all the times I've seen your new header photos...I never realized there were bears right smack in the middle. Sigh. More proof that I really need to get new glasses soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never watched Friends until this summer when I was on Netflix looking for my summer binge and it popped up. It is a lot better than I would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to begin looking for a contractor to remodel my cottage bathroom. I hate dealing with men in tools belts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.