Thursday, November 16, 2017

Thursday Thirteen

1. Sometimes Thursdays sneak up on you. When did it become Thursday, you ask? Here it is, and I have nothing ready.

2. My major accomplishment this week: I finished editing a manuscript for a client.

3. My brother's major accomplishment: he killed a big buck and a bear yesterday. Congratulations to him on some mighty fine hunting.

4. My husband's major accomplishment thus far: he killed a buck and sprained his ankle.

5. The GOP's major accomplishment: putting forth a tax plan that would ruin retirees and underinsured people, as well as anyone not wealthy. This is according to Forbes. I don't consider them to be fake news.

6. The Dem's major accomplishment: still existing. Although I must say that last week's wins in Virginia were sweet.

7. I read a book for my book club that was incredibly depressing. It was the kind of book that would validate an alien's reason for destroying the Earth, because there was very little redemption of humanity in the thing.

8. My glass of water is empty, but I can fill it up again. In some parts of the world, people can't say that. Even in some parts of the United States, people can't say that.

9. Husbands are hard to buy things for. Actually, guys in general are hard to buy for. A woman is easy - buy her a piece of jewelry and you're done. But guys? How many hammers can one fellow own?

10. On Saturday I will celebrate my 34th wedding anniversary. Why does it seem like less than two years ago?

11. My office needs a cleaning and a remodeling. For 20 years it has been a news reporter's workspace. But I am no longer a news reporter. Now I want to turn it into a writer's workspace. What's the difference? Beauty. And hopefully less research material.

12. I am a real fiend for tech toys. The other day I bought something called a Boogie Board, which is basically an LED Etch-A-Sketch. You write or draw on it, then click a button, and it disappears. I used it to draw this. I'm not a very good artist but I expect an artist might enjoy this, at least, for a while.

13. I saw pocket transistor radios for sale in one of my Christmas catalogs. I am thinking of buying one for myself. I don't know why, as I can listen to radio stations on my computer and do. I just like the idea of it.

________
 
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 526th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.

7 comments:

  1. I like the idea of #13 too. A simple on and off button. Give me an etch-a-sketch any day. I must be hard to buy for cause I don't like jewelry. Great description on that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My list starts out the same way.

    BTW what kind of manuscripts do you edit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So for a 97,000 word text file with a lot of white space looking for just proof reading what would it cost? Also, how do you feel about Science Fiction?

      Delete
  3. You're right: I've got a hammer and it's the only hammer I'll ever need. Give me a Boogie Board anytime. Or a non-sneaky Thursday would be nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with #9 but I am also not a collector of jewelry. I like gifts from the heart like maybe my favorite breakfast in bed or pack a picnic of finger foods and go for a drive somewhere to just spend time together, book a weekend trip away and make a rule of no cell phones, instead of fancy stuff like jewelry. Anyone can buy stuff, it takes thought and love to come up with something from the heart. Loved my etch-a-sketch when I was a kid. Could sit for hours trying to construct something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When a book is depressing, do you read the entire thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. INCOMING!

    I'm sending a new author your way. She's from my NaNoWriMo write in's. This is her first book- a spoof on memoirs about real-estate. She's determined to see it published, and needs some hand holding.

    I'd have emailed you about it, but my email is messed up right now, and I don't have time to fix it. Hopefully after Thanksgiving....

    Anyway I gave her both your blog URL and your email and quoted the prices you gave me. Since she's very new to this, I recommend a beta read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.